Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Mystery tool

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware3709 of 9601Bell SystemWhat plane is this?
Love it
Like it

lzenglishlzenglish loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
iggyiggy loves this.
PoliticalPinbacksPoliticalPinbacks loves this.
See 2 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 5 years ago

    (1 item)

    Unsure what this tool is found it in the milk shed on my grandparents farm now just because that's where I found it dosent mean there's any connection there was a sink and a bike in there as well they used to have cows bulls chickens back in the day but all the animals where gone before my mother was born in the mid 60s since then just cash craps any help would be great

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    15" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/Glass Knob In Antique Turquoise/Teal Accent
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/G...
    6 Solid Brass VERY SMALL Stacking Barrister Bookcase 7/16
    6 Solid Brass VERY SMALL Stacking B...
    Brass Cabinet Latch Antique Furniture Latch Victorian Eastlake Cabinet Latch
    Brass Cabinet Latch Antique Furnitu...
    15" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
    See all


    1. slackjack, 5 years ago
      A wire fencing tool.
    2. UncleRon UncleRon, 5 years ago
      Exactly how is it used or what does it do, slackjack? The last time this tool came up I showed pics of it to a couple of the local tool specialists. These guys have been collecting for decades and none of them had ever seen one.
    3. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
      I never happened to see fence tensioner or wire puller with a piston that came up in the center. I wonder if you found any lead seals or metal tags in the milk room?
    4. crashley526, 5 years ago
      No didn't happen to found any metal tags or lead seals I wish there was marking on this tool that would help to identify it so much easier
    5. lzenglish lzenglish, 5 years ago
      I believe this is a Cattle De-Horning Tool, missing the upper and lower blade assembly's. In the 10 or so makers of this tool that i found, i did not find an exact match to yours, but all had the same gear and blade holder configurations.

    6. lzenglish lzenglish, 5 years ago
      P.S. I should of said they all had the same basic gear configeration, but the blade mount assemblies were slightly different on most.
    7. UncleRon UncleRon, 5 years ago
      I agree, lzenglish; the basic mechanism is similar on all the dehorners. But this one does not have the proper configuration for attaching blades to it. It appears as though the moving rack is made to accept a variety of tools in its "D" shaped hole and they press against something (?) when the handles are squeezed (?) The lyre-shaped frame has turned-up "fingers" at its top, as though it holds something. The moving rack, holding a tool, would then crimp it or push something together, or ???
    8. lzenglish lzenglish, 5 years ago
      All Good Points to consider Uncle Ron ! What is your best "guess" so far?
    9. UncleRon UncleRon, 5 years ago
      I don't have a guess at this point. The design of the tool is suggestive but positing all kinds of accessories or missing parts seems to over-complicate things. The only "attachment" point is that D-shaped hole. An accessory tool placed in there would move in the plane of the turned-up fingers on the end of the frame - possibly bending or crimping something (?) Maybe it is an accessory tool for another machine or implement (?)
    10. lzenglish lzenglish, 5 years ago
      IF it is a De-Horning tool, (which i still think it is), a cutter bit assembly, or cartridge, could possibly attach to the 2 arms, if one exists, holes or not, imo. I'm done looking for it, and find nothing in the fence tool world that even looks close to it. Good Luck !
    11. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
      I was headed toward UncleRon's suggestion in a post when I asked about lead seals or metal tags. This was found in a milk house and years ago we had to tag the milk cans with a tag or seal with a crimper to show which farm they came from.
    12. UncleRon UncleRon, 5 years ago
      Now we're getting somewhere. The d-shaped hole could hold a seal unique to each farm and the fingers could hook over the can's rim? or a sealing band? somehow to impress the seal's marking.
    13. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
      UncleRon - The dairy farm I worked on we crimped the tag to the lid. Once accounted for at the other end they used a screw driver to pop the tag off. Cans were cleaned and sent back. You might or might not get back the same can you sent on the truck. No milking machines or coolers back then.
    14. lzenglish lzenglish, 5 years ago
      I finally found an answer for this tool, from a friend of a friend, and that answer is, "Snow Fence Slat Repair Tool", or words to that effect. See the link below.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.