Flat Top Trunk

In Furniture > Trunks > Show & Tell.
Trunks35 of 1949Old Antique Trunk Possibly Belonged to my Great Great GrandmotherVictorian Era Dometop Steamer Trunk - Embossed Wild Rose Design

TreyTrey loves this.
FatBoy64FatBoy64 loves this.
trunkmantrunkman loves this.
TanniTanni loves this.
shareurpassionshareurpassion loves this.

Posted 2 months ago

TheBurgerL…
(1 item)

Hi, hope you can help! I'm looking for info, not a price but just info if anyone has some. I got this trunk about 2 years ago for my mom 25th wedding anniversary party. It was a tea party theme. We used it for a costume box. I have tried to find anything about it online with no luck. It has tbe intials O.F.W,the only thing that comes up is overseas stuff. I bought it cause I thought it would make a great coffee table. I dont not want to ruin it if its semi worth something. Thanks so much for your help.

Comments

1. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 2 months ago
    Were you thinking of painting it? I think it would look great as it is with a piece of glass on top. It's longer than any I've seen before and there are a lot of great folks here that do know a lot about trunks. One thing you can do is look on the large lock between the latches. You should be able to see more info there than you ever thought you would that may lead you to find it's origin. But I am pretty sure someone here will be able to assist you too, this is a great place to learn about many many different types of items and loads of fun and great people as well.

Hang in there, someone else will come along soon, I'm sure ;) Welcome to CW!
  2. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 2 months ago
    Also, by your photo, it appears to be longer than it may actually be so if you could take the measurements and add them to your post by editing, that would help. It's really in good condition. Normally, the leather handles are broken or not even there. I'm sure it's not as long as I first thought because if it was, no handles would even be necessary. It's a great trunk! Get some inside pictures and add them too. That often helps with ID.
  3. TheBurgerLady, 2 months ago
    Great I will take measurements now. Thanks so much for all your help. Greatly appreciate it!
  4. TheBurgerLady, 2 months ago
    So the measurements are 36"(3ft) wide by 13" tall. Great call on the lock. With a flashlight i found, The Corbin Brother Co. New Britain Conn USA. One side has the strap but the other side is missing. I did not see any markings on the inside. I will try to post my other2 pictures. Thanks so much again!!
  5. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 2 months ago
    You are very welcome. I forgot to mention that most people do refer to these as "Steamer Trunks". Can you imagine going on a trip and this is what you had to bring your belongings in?!? Geeze. Nothing like a little added bulk and weight!

Here's a reference for you to peek at:

If you need a key there is a really great guy on ebay that has keys for about 10 bucks. He'll even send you the key and if it fits and works, you can pay him then. He used to do things that way anyway. Don't know for sure if he still does. I got his name from a trunk collector here. jscott0353 or is it 535? I don't know but I will see if I can get his attention for you ;)

6. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 2 months ago
    Done, and I gave his username wrong, it's jscott0363. I was close.
  7. Trey Trey, 2 months ago
    Welcome to CW:)
  8. jscott0363 jscott0363, 2 months ago
    Hello and welcome to CW!!
    This is what is referred to as a "Steamer" trunk due to it's short height. These were able to be slid into the berth of the steamship it traveled on. This one is is pretty fair condition and looks to still retain it's original linen lined interior. Based on the lock style, latches and hardware, I'd place this between 1910 and 1930. There were so many makers of these trunks back in the day. Without a label it'd be tough to know who the manufacturer of this trunk is. I'm certain there are others here on CW that can be of much more help than myself. It's definitely a keeper in my opinion. Thanks very much fro sharing and welcome to CW!!!!

Scott
  9. greendog greendog, 2 months ago
    I concur with what Scotty has stated 100% early 1900's, a lot of people refer to all trunks as steamer trunks, which is incorrect, this is a true steamer trunk for the reasons Scotty has stated, greendog.
  10. TheBurgerLady, 2 months ago
    @Trey thanks so much for the welcome. @jscott0363 and @thanks fir the info. Its very helpful. This is my first purchase like this so i am definitely learning. Tonight I was looking in the trunk to make sure I didnt overlook anything and I did of course. :) I found a label in side. I dont know how I missed it. Red label sidways triangle. Henery Likly & Co. Makers Rochester Ny, established 1844. Ibwill have to google this tonight. Thanks again for your kindness ans comments.
  11. Drill Drill, 2 months ago
    Some advertising from the Likly co.

An 1890 advertisment.
  12. Drill Drill, 2 months ago
    A great maker of many styles of trunk!