Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Vintage framed needlework question

In Folk Art > Samplers > Show & Tell and Rugs and Textiles > Embroidery > Show & Tell.
Samplers3 of 42What is this called?Sampler dating help
Love it
Like it

officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
subi450subi450 loves this.
Vynil33rpmVynil33rpm loves this.
AnythingObscureAnythingObscure loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
RichmondLoriRichmondLori loves this.
vetraio50vetraio50 loves this.
See 6 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 2 years ago

    (6 items)

    My great grandmother made this for my grandmother & gave to her in 1935 (see her note in the back). My question is what is this type of needlework called?
    Luckily, it was framed behind glass, so it's in excellent condition and the colors are so vibrant!

    Mystery Solved
    See all
    Antique French Floral Alphabet Needlework Sampler 1900
    Antique French Floral Alphabet Need...
    Antique Cross Stitch Framed Sampler 1849
    Antique Cross Stitch Framed Sampler...
    Antique Dated 1815 Schoolgirl Needlework Sampler VERY NICE!!
    Antique Dated 1815 Schoolgirl Needl...
    Antique French Floral Alphabet Needlework Sampler 1900
    Antique French Floral Alphabet Need...
    See all


    1. RichmondLori RichmondLori, 2 years ago
      it is called Embroidery, very similar to cross-stitch and Needle point together. this type of art is still popular and started way before the 1935 date on your piece. Some of the best comes from Russia. in my opinion. All needle artwork have one shared attribute, they are done by hand with love......
    2. RichmondLori RichmondLori, 2 years ago
      this should be one of your family treasures... Lori
    3. emclaire, 2 years ago
      Thank you for that information, Lori! I just love it as I haven't seen anything like it when I was trying to search for needle work on the web.
      I can't see any markings to make me think was a prestamped kit, but maybe that's due to her fabulous stitching!
    4. emclaire, 2 years ago
      I spoke to soon! I got the bright idea to search the words and found this:
    5. Vynil33rpm Vynil33rpm, 2 years ago
      I don’t know what kind of needlework it is but I know your great grandmother was a pretty cool lady
    6. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
      Nice guest room hanging.

      Agree with emclaire-- it is from a kit. Sort of like a "paint by numbers" set.

    7. RichmondLori RichmondLori, 2 years ago
      It most likely is a "Pattern" design - not so much a kit. Very similar to dress maker's patterns, the design is laid out and step by step instructions are listed.
      Like the paint by numbers, you follow their suggested steps.

      thanks for all the comments.
      My family has done all of the needle projects (Embroidery, Cross Stitch, and Needle Point) for as long as I can remember, and still do.
    8. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
      I have seen them in kits-- the design is lightly printed on the cloth and then the crafter "embroiders" over it with the thread.

      Here is a modern example:

      Photos 5 and 6 show the design on the cloth and in progress embroidery.


    9. emclaire, 2 years ago
      You've all been so helpful.. Thank you so much!
    10. RichmondLori RichmondLori, 2 years ago
      scottvez, You are correct, the pattern designs do come in kits, I was not trying to ddiscredit you or anything, only I have seen both types of projects. Sorry for any confusion or tension...Lori
    11. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
      No problems-- just wanted to post what I had seen.


    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.