Wow - what model train operating layout would be complete without a caboose or three? Cabooses were a fixture on railroads everywhere for over a century, before modern electronics came along and made them obsolete. Besides being a lookout for the back of the train, they served as home base for the train crew, which could be half a dozen people or more.
Common types of cabooses include the standard 'cupola' caboose, the 'bay windows' caboose, and the 'extended vision' caboose. And no... they're not all red. But you've gotta have at least one red one!
Best of the Web (“Hall of Fame”)
Airfix Model Railways
Postwar Lionel Trains Library
Tech Model Railroad Club of MIT
Clubs & Associations
- Train Collectors Association
- National Model Railroad Association
- Lionel Collectors Club of America
- Toy Train Operating Society
- National Association of S Gaugers, Inc.
- Train Collectors Society
- Lionel Operating Train Society