TL-29 Electricians Knife

In Tools and Hardware > Folding Knives > Show & Tell.
Folding Knives43 of 191"Victorinox" Green Advertising Penknifepen knife

PhilDavidAlexanderMorrisPhilDavidAlexanderMorris loves this.
gargoylecollectorgargoylecollector loves this.
pw-collectorpw-collector loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
ChrisnpChrisnp loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
vanskyock24vanskyock24 loves this.
pops52pops52 loves this.

Posted 9 months ago

ThriftyGypsy

Greetings fellow collectors,
I would like to start this post by saying that it was prompted by one that was posted by nutsabotas6 a while back. I hope I don't take up too much of everyones time, but you all know how I am when I get started! This knife is a TL-29 electricians knife. During my years as one of Uncle Sams Misguided Children, (USMC), I had dual MOS'S (Military Jobs). My main job was Motor Transport which consisted of operating all types of military highway capable vehicles, and performing maintenance and all forms of repair. My second, back up job was as a lineman. This job consisted of running phone lines, repairing them,climbing telephone poles for repairs and operating and repairing field switchboards. I was assigned several items that I used as a wireman, which included this knife. It came in a holster that also contained a pair of wire cutters, which I will post next. When I googled TL-29, there was a huge amount of information out there. For those who wish to learn more, you just need to google it. I figured this posting would be long, so I did not want to post a lot of technical information. This knife showed up in all branches of the military, and they seem to have been used from ww1 till present time. Nuts knife had a wooden handle, that I assume was from ww1 or maybe earlier. I thought mine with the black plastic handle was from the Vietnam era, but it appears that it was also used in ww2. Mine was weathered and had been used previously before being passed to me. Several companies made blades for these knives, and mine was made by Camillus Knife Company. I am going to try and close this post for now, but will try and add more to my next posting. Thank you for letting me share this and please comment if you have anything you would like to add. Thanks, Thrifty

Comments

1. SEAN68 SEAN68, 9 months ago
    I bet it is very sharp!!
  2. ThriftyGypsy ThriftyGypsy, 9 months ago
    Thanks Sean68 for the love and comment! It was always kept sharp due to the nature of it's use. These were sturdy knives that held up really good. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you have a great Sunday. Are you planning on watching the Super Bowl? Talk to you later, Thrifty
  3. vanskyock24 vanskyock24, 9 months ago
    amazing how times changed thrift its now running fiber
  4. ThriftyGypsy ThriftyGypsy, 9 months ago
    Thank you nutsabot for your post, which really got me thinking about my knife. I had put it away quite a few years ago, and had forgotten it. That is just one of the great things about CW, and the people on here. Someone will post an item, and it will make you think about something you had or have! I always enjoy reading other peoples stories and sharing mine. Glad you liked the story, and you know I had to give you the shout out for your knife! Talk to you later, Thrifty
  5. SEAN68 SEAN68, 9 months ago
    Hello TG , Yes im planning on watching the superbowl!!! this is very well taken care of and you really have taken very good care of it !!! You as well have a great day!! :)
  6. ThriftyGypsy ThriftyGypsy, 9 months ago
    Thanks vanskyock24 for the love and comments. It really is amazing how fast we seem to be moving along! Thanks, Thrifty
  7. Chrisnp Chrisnp, 9 months ago
    Nice knife - I've seen these before but had forgotten their nomenclature. When were you in?
  8. kerry10456 kerry10456, 9 months ago
    Semper Fi and thanks for sharing a memory :-)
  9. ThriftyGypsy ThriftyGypsy, 9 months ago
    OOOHRAHH! kerry10456!, Thanks for the love and the comment. Semper Fi back at you. Talk to you later, Thrifty
  10. ThriftyGypsy ThriftyGypsy, 9 months ago
    Thanks for the love Chrisnp,
    I arrived at Parris Island in October of 1979, I got out in 1986. Christmas 1979 was the most unusual one I have ever had! lol. Thanks for stopping by, Thrifty Semper Fi
  11. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 9 months ago
    I believe the TL-29 was suggested on the original post and deleted. Thanks for posting yours. Mine is packed up to send to my son, who arrived home from his forth combat tour three days ago. He collects knives and I am ready to cash in my chips so passing stuff along. Taken care of these knives last forever.
  12. ThriftyGypsy ThriftyGypsy, 9 months ago
    Thanks fhrj2 for stopping by. That is neat getting to pass this on to your son. I have two daughters, and my youngest has taken up my habit of collecting antiques, collectibles and junk. I think she will be the one who picks up where I leave off. Make sure you let your son know his service is appreciated. Talk to you later, Thrifty
  13. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 9 months ago
    I never had a daughter but if I did I would have wanted a Tomboy that liked junk and getting dirty. She is a keeper, make sure you guide her to have a Keene eye.
  14. ThriftyGypsy ThriftyGypsy, 9 months ago
    Thanks fhrjr2 for the advice! It is appreciated. I have been showing her the ropes for a long time. Thanks again, Thrifty
  15. ThriftyGypsy ThriftyGypsy, 9 months ago
    Thanks gargoylecollector and vetraio50 for the love! Thanks for stopping by! Thrifty