Old Leather Pouch

In Native American > Show & Tell.
Native American Antiques587 of 7342 Indian drawings black & whiteTurquoise (Raw)

aeonaeon likes this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
DeanteaksDeanteaks loves this.
mrcolorzmrcolorz loves this.
mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
trgrubaughtrgrubaugh loves this.
oldhippeeoldhippee loves this.
BudekBudek loves this.
trunkmantrunkman loves this.
vanskyock24vanskyock24 loves this.

Bootson

Here is a very well made pouch that I am hoping someone here will know something about. I'm guessing it's native american made but I don't know.
I got it from a friend of mine who didn't know it's origin either.

It is made with very thin leather and has a tightly woven cloth lining. all the stitching and embroidery is extremely fine.

The two tribes that are most common in my area are Chippewa and Dakota.

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. Bootson Bootson, 2 years ago
    It's been a long time with no comments, so I thought I would update this post with what I have found so far. I think this is from the Metis, the French Indians of the upper Red River Valley area. That would be the Red River of the North - North Dakota, Minnesota and into Canada. I still don't have an approximate date for it.
    Anyone have any ideas? do you think my guess is correct?
  2. Knifeguy, 2 years ago
    Hi there, that is a great bag and I think you are correct about it being a Metis bag with Cree influence. The Cree intermarried with the early fur traders. The Cree also did Moose hair embroidery which was then copied by the metis in embroidery cotton. I have had many in and out of my collection over the years with cotton embroidery. I LOVE your bag. If it ever comes up for sale I'd love to have first refusal ;-) I am Cree/Scottish Metis.
    Regards

Robin
  3. Bootson Bootson, 2 years ago
    Thanks Knifeguy Robin, give me your contact info and I will put a note in the bag so I won't forget. Liedahl@msn.com
  4. Bootson Bootson, 2 years ago
    Thanks AR8Jason, I do not get on here as often as I like, it's nice to hear from a familiar face when I do.

Thanks vetrao50, I am old enough to still be amazed from time to time when someone from the other end of the Earth sees and comments on something I put up on the web site.
  5. Bootson Bootson, 2 years ago
    I do appreciate having someplace to share some of my finds and maybe get the benefit of someone else's opinion's now and then. I also like to chip in when I have some ideas on a certain item. You do get to know people by the type of posts they make and I can tell you and I are probably "birds of a feather".
  6. Bootson Bootson, 2 years ago
    Thanks vanskyock24 & trunkman.
  7. oldhippee, 2 years ago
    It is a beautiful old bag...very nicely made! I love Native American!!
  8. Bootson Bootson, 2 years ago
    Thanks oldhippee, and I really like your guitars.
  9. Bootson Bootson, 2 years ago
    Thanks Budek & trgrubaugh
  10. Bootson Bootson, 2 years ago
    Thanks mrmajestic1
  11. Bootson Bootson, 2 years ago
    Thanks mrcolorz
  12. SimpleMe, 10 months ago
    I believe this is made of an animal stomach. I have a simlar one. The pouch I have is a tobacco pouch that was made from an ostrich stomach and hand creweled from the Indians in south America. That is why it is so thin and lined. Mine is not lined like yours. I will post a picture of it soon so you can see the likeness of texture. Your bag is large enough that it may have been from a buffalo, moose or elk. Moose would align with the Cree theory. The crewel work on my bag is a lot more intense and my bag has the full ostrich neck so after you put the tobacco in the pouch the neck wraps around the pouch two or three times to keep it closed. Your crewel work on your pouch does align to the paterns of 1890 Northern Plains Cree Indians. I have not see many of these bags in good condition so make sure you have it appraised by an Indian Artifacts Dealer. I do hope that helps.
  13. Bootson Bootson, 10 months ago
    Thanks for the info SimpleMe, It is just great that something I posted way back when gets a comment "out of the blue" over a year later.
    When you get a chance it would be nice to see that bag of yours on CW. I see you must have just found this site, lots of interesting stuff and people. and once in a while helpful in finding out about items I am clueless on.
    I still have that little bag and just looked at it the other day.