Wm. L. Gilbert Clock Co. Balckbird Mantle Clock

In Clocks > Mantel Clocks > Show & Tell.
Mantel Clocks72 of 331H.A.C. Mantel Clock - MADE IN WURTTEMBERGUnknown Mantel Clock

ticktocktime100ticktocktime100 loves this.
pops52pops52 loves this.
pw-collectorpw-collector loves this.
Bruce99Bruce99 loves this.

Posted 12 months ago

Ericocon

Wm. L. Gilbert Clock Co. Balckbird Mantle Clock
Stamp on bottom dates from 1871 - 1934
Mech states 1904
Comes with they key and needs some TLC!
Original Dial
Wound very tight and seem to be running very slow, it has been sitting in my parents barn for quite a few years. Anyone have any ideas on how to unwind it and get it running again? Also it chimes at the 1/4 hour and 1/4 after so the chiming is also off. Is this even worth getting fixed?

Comments

1. Bruce99 Bruce99, 12 months ago
    You ask if it is "even worth getting fixed". Do you consider it to be a family heirloom? If so, absolutely! I agree with Bellin68 (Sean), it's a *very* nice looking clock. All mechanical clocks, like any machine, will require periodic maintenance and repair. If you want to know what the market value is, the easiest way would be to keep an eye on eBay auctions. Gilbert Blackbird Mantel Clocks seem to see for around $100 "as is" ...which usually means "needs work".
    See: http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=gilbert+blackbird+mantel+clock&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

I can tell you now that a proper cleaning and overhaul will cost you more than $100...but it should also increase the market value of your clock so you could potentially recover *some* of the maintenance/repair costs, but not all of it. If you consider the fact that an overhaul should last 5 to 10 years and divide the cost on a yearly basis, it doesn't cost that much to enjoy an antique, heirloom mantel clock.

So...
    You could sell it on eBay and "should" get around $100 (at least, but you never know at auction).

You could keep it as is, and just display it as a non-running clock (you shouldn't keep running it if it needs to be serviced...that's kind of like driving a car that is low on really dirty oil...nothing good will come of it).

You could have it properly serviced by a qualified clock repair person

You could try to clean and overhaul the clock yourself. If you want to try that, remember there's a lot to it and you'll need proper tools. The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors has a website with a message board where you could go for help and answers to your questions. See http://mb.nawcc.org/ You would need to register to post questions, but registration for that part of the website is free.

Hope that helps.
  2. Bruce99 Bruce99, 12 months ago
    By the way, are you certain that this clock has a quarter-strike movement? These types of clocks usually strike the top of the hour on a gong (1 strike for each hour count) and a single strike on a cup bell or gong one each half-hour. There are some quarterly strike mantel clocks...plenty of them actually...but they usually either "ding dong"....also called "bim-bam" strikes or Chiming clocks (mostly Westminster). I don't think that your clock is either of those....I could be wrong. I would have to see more of the movement in order to be sure. Thanks for sharing your heirloom with us.
  3. Ericocon, 12 months ago
    Thanks for all your imput, no I do not consider this clock a family heirloom, my parents had such a large estate with much more family heirloom type items which has meant something to us kids Lol 55 and I am calling myself a kid.
    As for paying to have it fixed not worth it to me... I know I am terrible! Yes the clock strikes on the quarter hour and quater after, I have done some reading and have found a way to adjust this so that it is back to striking on the hour and 1/2 hour. I probably will just tell my sis to list it on ebay as is and as stated.
    Thanks again everyone on here is so helpful.
  4. Bruce99 Bruce99, 12 months ago
    You're welcome. It sounds as though the hands were 90 degrees out of sync? Good luck with the auction. Hopefully there's a couple of Gilbert collectors out there who would be very happy to own this old-timer.
  5. Vintage_Joe Vintage_Joe, 5 months ago
    This is very nice clock. I have done some clock repair. I buy clocks from flea markets some are out of order, old clocks are easy with reparable.
    Opening the case and removing the pendulum rod upper parts(only two screws)
    there is anchor Escapement and removing them will releases wind. Don't do this if you are not experienced with clocks. Tiny parts!
    Do not push the latch of spring wich also unwind it, it is very brutal operation and can broke the spring. I add photo from my Junghans table clock for example.

6. Vintage_Joe Vintage_Joe, 5 months ago
    You can see two screws in upper plate, attached to the pendulum rod.
    Before removing these whole clock mechanism must remove from clock case.
    So you can take carefully ancor off.