Victorian (or Edvardian) Engraved Cuff Bracelet

In Fine Jewelry > Victorian and Edwardian Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Victorian and Edwardian Jewelry163 of 431Antique Victorian Turquoise Tassel 14k Rose Gold EarringsAntique silver filigree watch fob and key on Belcher chain

aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
antiquarius123antiquarius123 loves this.
SpunkysMomSpunkysMom loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

freiheit

I received this yesterday as a present and want to share it with everybody. This is a nicely engraved bracelet. It shows a little bit of wear, as you can see on the photos, but it is over all in very good condition. It fits me, but it is on the small side. I don't think it was meant for a child - I just think that women used to be generally a bit more on the petite side a hundred or more years ago.

It is simply marked "silver" on the two parts. I have no idea where it came from and would appreciate any help.

Thanks for looking:)

Comments

1. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    I don't this was for a child...a young petite lady who had small wrists...Beautiful! And I think this is called etched Silver Bangle Bracelet Hinged. Made in either early America or England?
  2. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    Thank you Moonstonelover21! You are always there with a knowledgeable answer or comment. I wasn't sure if it was meant for a child because of the style. I don't think little girls would have loved this design. However, it makes sense for a slender young lady. Too bad that's not me. I still like it and occasionally wear it even if it is a little tight. :)
  3. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    Thank you also to blunderbuss2 and mustangtony :)
  4. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    Thanks a lot, BELLIN68 :)
  5. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    Many thanks also to bratjdd, PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, SpunkysMom, and antiquarius123 :)
  6. NativeJewelerylovers NativeJewelerylovers, 1 year ago
    Very nice, it would be my guess Mexico...they marked a lot of turn of the century to early 20's pieces just silver and this does have styling like a Mexican silver piece. Also, those pieces tended to have a very high quality of silver.
  7. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    Thanks NativeJewelerylovers:)
    It would have never crossed my mind to look into the possibility of it being Mexican. I have a lot to earn!
  8. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    NativeJewelerylovers, very true. This would have been a high end item. Very well made!!!! I still think maybe European.......maybe....
  9. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    Part of the excitement of collecting vintage and antique jewelry for me is finding out about the pieces' history. Can you imagine the wonderful jewelry listed on this site could reveal to us their past? Sure, some have been in families for ever, but many others ended up here in mysterious ways. Just imagine, someone bought or had a piece made for a specific reason and for a special person. It had a meaning and a value above a dollar sign. How did it end up in our hands? Why? Did someone not care enough to keep it? Did they want to get rid of memories? Did they just need some extra cash? Was it just an investment....? Well, I am getting carried away.

Thanks to both of you, Moonstonelover21 and NativeJewelerylovers, for you helpful comments.:)
  10. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    freiheit, you are so right about that! I would love to know the history of my pieces and know what happened to them. The only one I know is the one I posted on CW a while ago...
    The only reason why is that I asked my brother who is a Shaman. I asked him for a favour to touch the stone and find out where it came from. He said that this was originally from the late 1800's and that it was the top part of a gentlemans cane. A wealthy black gentleman who was into Voodoo...and it was his favourite. He lived in Louisiana and carried it around all the time. When he died, someone had it carved with the lady or nymph on it....in the 1920's or so. The only reason why I asked him was I getting strange vibrations from the stone...and it kept getting tipped over easily. And other things. I am psychic and can feel things off pieces. LOL sorry to get carried away....but I know how you feel..... XOXOXOXO
  11. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    PS the Ametrine is at the store in the safe...not at home....LOL
  12. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    Fascinating story!!!
  13. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    I would look it up, too.
  14. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    I have looked up antique gentlemens canes...and they do indeed have large Gemstones on the top part to show off there wealth. I was surprised...and shocked to have it confirmed...!!! And the bigger ....the wealthier....
  15. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    Judging by the size of this rock: The owner was more than just well off:)
  16. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    That's what I think too..and my brother said he was wealthy ...very wealthy. But his spirit was still in the stone....and was using it as a portal to come back. So I had the stone removed away from my home....I will be cleansing it with a special fire ... All vintage antique jewelry has a spiritual or something attached to it. I have come across pieces that I know had death attached to it and wont ever touch it. I sense things....sigh....
  17. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    I sage my antiques....and pray over them. All the time since I get pieces in all the time. :)))
  18. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    It is very moving to read your words. I guess it takes a special gift to feel what you feel. But I have, at a much lower level, had feelings that made me not buy a piece. I cannot explain it, but even if I liked it and it was a good deal, I could not take it home because it just didn't feel right. Strange how we sometimes feel a vibe that cannot be substantiated with reason.
  19. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    Thanks a lot, SpunkysMom, antiquarious12, and PhilDavidAlexanderMorris!
  20. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    Thank you all of you for you overwhelming response:
    bratjdd, Newtimes, czechman, vetraio50, petey, and valentino97 :)
  21. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    Thanks a lot, vintagejewel:)
  22. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    Thanks a lot, JayHow. You are very kind :)
  23. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    JH, great job!!! I wish you can take a look at my posting...
  24. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    Danke, JayHow. I didn't know you speak German:)
  25. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    You certainly made me smile! Thanks a lot. I came to Canada in 1985 and must say that I am starting to forget some of my German. My mom still lives in the south-eastern part, and I am looking forward to her visit in July. This gives me a chance to brush up my language:)

I am glad you had good memories of your visit. I have many good ones, too, but also some less happy ones because I was unlucky to be born in the former East Germany (GDR). Well, let's not go there; you don't want to hear it. But I must say that I am enjoying and appreciating freedom a lot more than many other people.

Once again thank you for your kind words and I hope I didn't bore you too much. Enjoy the rest of your weekend:)
  26. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
    JaHow, once again thank you for your kind response and interesting comments. I guess many people went through similar experiences in life having had the misfortune of being in Europe at this time. My mom, too, had a very difficult childhood, riddled with disease, huger, separation, ... very sad. But she made it and today is a remarkably happy person.
    I came to Canada because of my husband. He defected in Gander and I was able to join him a year later. But this is a very long story.
    I enjoy chatting with you and looking at your interesting postings. :)
  27. antiquerose antiquerose, 5 months ago
    Wonderful item with Age!!

Most likely of Victorian // European history, IMHO. Marked Silver, then it is Sterling Silver. Very Old. Hand Engraved (chafed). I have something similar but in Gold.

It is NOT at all Mexican Silver. Those tend to be not as wide, and an open type of Bracelet with no hinge.

Yours is very Wonderful and very Victorian!! LOVE yours too!!
  28. freiheit freiheit, 5 months ago
    Thanks a lot, antiquerose:) I saw yours and it is so beautiful!
  29. antiquerose antiquerose, 5 months ago
    So is Yours........Sterling Silver!! Much the same idea. Have it checked out at a Jewelry Store for Weight/silver test.

Keep it and Love it! It's wonderful!!!