Ship to Great Dam and Walking the Yangtze River!

In Photographs > Show & Tell.
Photographs2635 of 5009Winter travels circa 1947Political campaign ambrotype

vanskyock24vanskyock24 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
DrFluffyDrFluffy loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.

toracat

Hello! I took Chinese tourist ship from Chongqing, where two great rivers meet, the Jiang and Yangtze. It stopped at Ghost City and other stops, even canoe races! And walking the River. All other Chinese took a bus back! I did not know this and bought round trip boat tickets! Well I changed boats for coming back and had no toilet seat or water in my room, just hole in floor. No blankets , and no tourist stops. Working people, many many with animals etc. Many were sick and drunk and smoking a lot. When I returned to Chongqing, I went to 4 star Hotel, had a hot shower and slept. It was still a great experience. My first ship only had cold water and 1 blanket. No heat but big window and a store to buy things and a good restaurant for cheap! Thanks for looking, Oh had a strange experience with a woman, haha! That is also why traveling is special! Thanks for looking!! Also many cities were flooded when dam was completed! toracat Ship was cheap, but saw bigger fancy ones for Amer., European, Aussie, Can., etc. tourist, but who wants to meet them! haha don Oh saw monkeys walking river!

logo
    Photographs
    100 Vintage Photo Slides Kodak & Others 1950s-90s Amateur Film Old Pictures Lot
    100 Vintage Photo Slides Kodak & Ot...
    $16
    1920s Vintage Photo - Barbara Stanwyck - Ziegfeld Follies Beautiful Flapper Girl
    1920s Vintage Photo - Barbara Stanw...
    $8
    Early Marilyn Monroe Rare Vintage Large Format Andre de Dienes Pin-Up Photograph
    Early Marilyn Monroe Rare Vintage L...
    $809
    Antique 19thC Victorian Folk Art Wood CDV Tintype Photograph Frame NO RESERVE
    Antique 19thC Victorian Folk Art Wo...
    $176
    logo
    100 Vintage Photo Slides Kodak & Others 1950s-90s Amateur Film Old Pictures Lot
    100 Vintage Photo Slides Kodak & Ot...
    $16

Comments

1. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 7 years ago
      Happy you made it back you wild and single man!!!
    2. toracat toracat, 7 years ago
      This was heaven compared to Amazon River rides! haha Thank you Moon, I wish I was younger, I want to do much but have problem with my legs from Agent Orange, but I did so much and maybe I can get them stronger! don
    3. toracat toracat, 7 years ago
      See my blue jacket! Well during New Years, about 6-7 10-12 yr. old girls gave me a 3ft. sparkler and they danced around me and caught my jacket on fire! Wow that was funny but scary! haha
    4. valentino97 valentino97, 7 years ago
      I also enjoyed this river cruise from Chongqing to Shanghai in 2009. It was one of my favorite excursions in China and I can not wait to go back. I'll post a few pictures too now that I know I have a fellow traveler who has enjoyed the Yangtze. Yes I have to admit - I was on the bigger boat. It was a very interesting trip combining 4 stars w/no stars (toilet holes yes) but I loved it - except I didn't have enough time at the Forbidden City or the Great Wall. Our tour guides kept moving us to shops and restaurants.
    5. toracat toracat, 7 years ago
      China is insane, interesting, and crazy! I had no guides except on Chinese tourist boat, they told us what to do when we stopped, I just followed other people as I did not understand what they were saying.!
    6. valentino97 valentino97, 7 years ago
      Your trip was definitely wilder than mine. I went on a 28 day tour w/4 in-country plane flights. It was great but when I go the next time I want to have a personal native speaking guide with me. To be fair - our tour had 2 people from CA who could interpret basics. The scariest thing I saw was right outside of Chongqing as we are starting our river cruise - a city of 30-story hi-rises, new and unlit - not inhabited and not finished. And also a dead person on the road. Our tour guides would not comment.

I think the ghost city is called Fendu. I plan to go back. It was such an amazing place - can't be seen in 28 days.
    7. toracat toracat, 7 years ago
      Yes, I went twice on just 30 day visa each time, both to Chongqing area! I want to go back, but now I must work on fixing my legs, as they do not work so well! But I visited as a traveler 35 countries and spent maybe 15 years doing this! So I am happy I did not wait until older to travel! My first trip to China I was 60! On New Years some girls set me on fire! and I had to drop and roll! haha They were 5-6 about 10-12 yrs. old! They gave me and had 3ft. sparklers and danced around me and jacket caught fire! and burned my hand!!
    8. valentino97 valentino97, 7 years ago
      I cannot beat a drop and roll story tora. And I haven't been to 35 countries. I'm still trying to get thru our 50...I think I am at 40 and not just driving thru them. It's so great that you have traveled a lot. I've only just in the last 5 yrs been able to afford international travel - but I travel a lot thru the US so I'm having fun.

Sorry your legs give you trouble. I hope you are working on them and will have more travel stories to share. Have you come to LA yet? Moonstonelover and I would love to have a coffee or drink w/you.
    9. Printsid Printsid, 7 years ago
      truly beautiful place
    10. toracat toracat, 7 years ago
      Thank you!
    11. Printsid Printsid, 7 years ago
      Your welcome toracat. i'm sure that would be an amazing to see and to be there
    12. VanessaT, 7 years ago
      Great pics, beautiful
    13. toracat toracat, 7 years ago
      Thank you!
    14. kivatinitz kivatinitz, 6 years ago
      que inmensidad
    15. Virginia.vintage Virginia.vintage, 6 years ago
      Por Dios, que belleza tora!!!
      Amazing adventure friend!