Hammer Tool of some kind

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware4652 of 8399Franklin Mint "Cutty Sark" 125th Anniversary Barometer / Circa 20th CenturyStamped Lasayer&co newark nj.I think! hard to read. What is it?

ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
PostCardCollectorPostCardCollector loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly likes this.
surfdub66surfdub66 loves this.
bobby725bobby725 loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.

Scodi143

I'm sorting through some of my husbands antique tools and found this.
    I'm not sure if it is a really old piece or not. I do live in Massachusetts and very close to Plymouth. Just wondering what it was used for and who could have made it.

Mystery Solved
    logo
    Tools and Hardware
    VINTAGE MARBLES AXE HANDLE GOAT FOOT AXE HANDLE nos MARBLES GLADSTONE MICH AXE
    VINTAGE MARBLES AXE HANDLE GOAT FOO...
    $13
    Original Authentic VTG Jewelry Key Lane Miniature Mini Cedar Chest Box *KEY ONLY
    Original Authentic VTG Jewelry Key ...
    $13
    ANTIQUE 1886 THE UNIQUE TOILET PAPER RECEPTACLE TIN LITHO BATHROOM ROLL HOLDER
    ANTIQUE 1886 THE UNIQUE TOILET PAPE...
    $173
    Stanley Bedrock 603 Sweetheart Plane Antique Steel Body Tool Vintage SW Logo Old
    Stanley Bedrock 603 Sweetheart Plan...
    $114
    logo
    VINTAGE MARBLES AXE HANDLE GOAT FOOT AXE HANDLE nos MARBLES GLADSTONE MICH AXE
    VINTAGE MARBLES AXE HANDLE GOAT FOO...
    $13

Comments

1. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
      I will give this a guess which is my 2 cents from growing up in New England. I would say it is a maul, which is common in New England as it applies to wood splitting. However I seriously doubt this was used for splitting wood. Both ends of this tool have a use. Only places I ever happened to see a tool even similar was in granite and marble quarries. They were used to split stone. Once the fissure was opened a bit the larger wedge end was placed in that and then hit with a sledge hammer. Other very small hardened steel wedges (some only one inch long) were also driven to open a decent crack. Just my 2 cents.
    2. bobby725 bobby725, 5 years ago
      Is that some kind of stone, like flint, or is it metal? The handle looks to be hand hammered. Measurements?
    3. just_a_random_guy, 5 years ago
      I think it looks like a makeshift splitting maul, except for the metal handle.
    4. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
      This has a quarry buster head but could also be a bull set. Both were used for basically the same thing.
    5. Scodi143 Scodi143, 5 years ago
      Hi Everyone,
      Thank you for responding so quick. This sight is invaluable!
      So the Head of it is stone and is 3 inches long. The length of it is 10 inches. Can anyone estimate the age of it?
    6. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
      When did you decide the head is made of stone? I guess I missed my point. I'm gone.
    7. bobby725 bobby725, 5 years ago
      I thought it looked like stone, is it flint? I can`t figure out what it might be for, except maybe for chopping because you couldn`t strike the head very hard. Very cool piece!
    8. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
      I'll point out what fhr was trying to say. The back of the head is peened over & stone breaks. Appears maybe bronze to my with an iron handle. I think bronze was used for slowly splitting stone because it didn't have the sharp vibrations thru the stone that may cause unwanted cracking the steel may do. Does a magnet stick to the head?
    9. bobby725 bobby725, 5 years ago
      It`s stone! In pic. 2 you can see where it is flaked on the edge of the head.
    10. Rustfarm Rustfarm, 5 years ago
      This looks like an old soldering iron made by a blacksmith. The head should be made of copper. Scratch it with a file or knife to see if it is copper. This should have a wooden handle attached to the other end. The loop around the "iron" is forge welded.
    11. TubeAmp TubeAmp, 5 years ago
      It may have been for soldering. The copper wedge (stone) is heated with a burner or torch. Plumbing, roofing, auto fenders, etc. Used crude irons to melt lead/tin solder.

T A
    12. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
      Sorry, but I fail to believe it's stone. I'll join fhr at this point.
    13. TubeAmp TubeAmp, 5 years ago
      I put "stone" in brackets because I know it's really copper.

T A
    14. bobby725 bobby725, 5 years ago
      I must have had too much bourbon! It sure looks like some kind of flint to me. Oh well, I`m done.
    15. TubeAmp TubeAmp, 5 years ago
      In photo two, at the five o'clock position on the ball part, you can see two dings where the copper was dented.

T A
    16. PostCardCollector PostCardCollector, 5 years ago
      Looks like a primitive Hawiian coconut cracker.
    17. Scodi143 Scodi143, 5 years ago
      Thank you so much for all your input. I scratched the stone a little and it is definitely copper and not stone, my mistake. Would anyone like to take a guess as to when you think this could have been made?
    18. Scodi143 Scodi143, 5 years ago
      One more fact I think would be important. My house was built on a cow pasture across the street from where an American Indian Burial Ground was found. The Wampanoag tribe. Could it be that early?
    19. bobby725 bobby725, 5 years ago
      I`d say that rustfarm and TubeAmp are right--soldering. There is a lot of knowledge on this site!! It was fun while it lasted! Late 1800`s?
    20. Scodi143 Scodi143, 5 years ago
      It was fun, thank you so much for your input. It's definately a conversation piece!
    21. U812, 5 years ago
      Rusfarm's post is right on. Its a soldering iron without the wood handle. My Grandfather was a blacksmith in Illinois he had several of these in different configurations It was used soldering.
    22. likeoldstuff, 5 years ago
      For soldering. Held heat well in the head.
    23. Rustfarm Rustfarm, 5 years ago
      This should be marked mystery solved, eh?
    24. seeker40, 4 years ago
      I'm pretty sure that it is a blacksmith's tool. The handle would allow the piece to be held while struck with a hammer.