Antique vulcanite brooch?

In Costume Jewelry > Costume Brooches > Show & Tell.
Costume Brooches1342 of 2458Bette Davis . . . 'Brooch'/Personal PropertyVintage Brooch, Enamel Flowers and Purple Stones, 20 Century

TigraTigra loves this.
antiqueroseantiquerose loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.
NewtimesNewtimes loves this.
VintageforeverVintageforever loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.
courtenayantiquescourtenayantiques loves this.
auraaura loves this.
EfesgirlEfesgirl loves this.
martikamartika loves this.
TassieDevilTassieDevil loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.

lentilka11

An another flea market find for my usual 1 EUR :) - 19th century mourning jewelry?

Material of this little brooch is lightweight and warm. To me it seems to be like kind of plastic, looks molded, and it is not glossy. The backside is from some kind of metal, painted black.
    My guess is vulcanite?
    Efesgirl invocation activated :DDD

logo
    Costume Brooches
     FREE SHIP Vintage Now Jewelry Lot GOOD Wear Resell 5 Pc Brooch Necklace Box Mix
    FREE SHIP Vintage Now Jewelry Lot ...
    $22
    Nice Jewelry Lot ALL GOOD Wear Resell Vintage Now 5 Pc Custom Brooch Necklace ++
    Nice Jewelry Lot ALL GOOD Wear Rese...
    $17
    Vintage Now Craft Jewelry Bag Lot DIY Harvest Stones Beads Earring Brooch Pieces
    Vintage Now Craft Jewelry Bag Lot D...
    $14
    I Am Edgar Berebi. 1  Of  My Angels Of Love  All In A row  Brooch Pin .
    I Am Edgar Berebi. 1 Of My Angels...
    $34
    logo
     FREE SHIP Vintage Now Jewelry Lot GOOD Wear Resell 5 Pc Brooch Necklace Box Mix
    FREE SHIP Vintage Now Jewelry Lot ...
    $22

Comments

1. lentilka11, 5 years ago
      Thank you!
      The material is not metal. Feels like plastic.
    2. martika martika, 5 years ago
      Or maybe jet? It´s warm and light, in the 19th century it was a very popular choice for mourning jewellery.
    3. Efesgirl Efesgirl, 5 years ago
      Vulcanite tends to be more of a charcoal color than black. Difficult to say from seeing a photo because many times the photos don't show the true color of a piece of jewelry. Maybe this website will help you:

4. antiquerose antiquerose, 5 years ago
      Gutta percha ??

Here is my Carved Brooch:

5. lentilka11, 5 years ago
      Thank you guys!
      Efesgirl - Interesting website!! Hm.. I have to do the tests!
      antiquerose - what a piece! Beautiful! Where did you find it?

6. lentilka11, 5 years ago
      Either I am imagining things, or I feel salt. Might be gutta percha then!
    7. lentilka11, 5 years ago
      I just licked a brooch, I feel weird.
    8. antiquerose antiquerose, 5 years ago
      lol@lentilka ......roflmao

My piece was a Family piece on my Mom's Dad side.
    9. lentilka11, 5 years ago
      :DDD

Its a beautiful piece.
    10. Newtimes Newtimes, 5 years ago
      I have a brooch with a similar back...looks metal-y...not sure f I posted it earlier, so I ll look to post it. Could help determine what material its made of
    11. kyratango kyratango, 5 years ago
      Haha, that's one of my tricks, taste to test ;-P

Back of your nice brooch is painted black metal, face could be "bois durci".

You maybe licked some ols blood and sawdust composition :-))

Interesting link to mourning black jewellery and its materials:
    12. lentilka11, 5 years ago
      kyratango uggh - I hope not!
      Interesting link, thank you!
    13. Newtimes Newtimes, 5 years ago
      Look at my brooch I posted earlier: it has the same back as yours
    14. lentilka11, 5 years ago
      Newtimes, thank you! Yes, it is the same back!
      Interesting! Your brooch is awesome! The material is still different than mine. But the back identical. I hope I will find more jewelry of this type.

And your boy will be a hunk one day :)