Double Wooden Flail

In Folk Art > Show & Tell and Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Folk Art115 of 1963What was this used for?Another vintage SEA SHELL FOLK ART PICTURES ( Pair )

JohnsmithJohnsmith loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
CaperkidCaperkid loves this.
AnythingObscureAnythingObscure loves this.
    NULL

Posted 11 months ago

Quantumphy…

Today on "Why The F*ck Do You Have This?!": my flail.

This is, as said, a wooden double flail. The balls and handle are wood; there are metal studs on the balls, a chain connecting them to the handle, and a metal wire eye at the end of the handle, possibly for hanging it.

I bought it on impulse at a thrift shop because it was cheap and I was on my lunch break and coming into the office with a flail seemed like a cool idea at the time. (... I know.)

It could have been something for a re-enactment or a LARP event, a theatre prop, a decor item for someone really into the medieval armory aesthetic, I don't know. It doesn't look mass-produced (I don't think the market for this sort of thing is large enough for mass production) but it's probably not particularly old. Anyone who knows anything about this sort of thing is welcome to share it!

I mainly keep it around as a reminder that somewhere, somewhen, someone decided that they needed a flail in their life, and then spent actual time, money and effort on making one, enabling me down the line to casually walk into my office building holding a medieval weapon.
(I may also be a little bit into the medieval armory aesthetic. But that's neither here nor there.)

(This is also another one of those items I don't know how to classify properly. Any help is appreciated!)

Comments

1. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 11 months ago
    ROTFLMAO!!! THANKS for a GREAT POST, Quantumphysica!!!! :-) :-) :-)

OH YEAH, I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I spotted it at a thrift shop -- though in my case, nobody would even look twice if I carried it into my workplace. (unless of course I swung it at 'em...?) Alas, they've all seen me dragging far stranger "things" in, for far too many years now already...it's difficult to surprise 'em these days... <giggle>

[which brings us right back to the "WTFDYHT" game...I could be a contestant on that TV game show, easily... <LOLOL>again]
  2. kyratango kyratango, 11 months ago
    Love your post and humor, Quantumphysica!!!

Blunderbuss will love it too and say he'd use it as a meat tenderizer ;-))
  3. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 11 months ago
    I think you were having some head pains lately and you thought this might help. Love the story !~
  4. Quantumphysica Quantumphysica, 11 months ago
    Thanks for the comments and loves everyone!

AnythingObscure, I would love to know what kind of "things" you confronted your co-workers with... Also, glad to meet a fellow purveyor of the weird and unexpected!

kyratango, using it as a meat tenderizer would hold the risk of tenderizing my own head rather than the steak, I'm afraid... Swinging one of these with any sort of coordination is surprisingly hard xD

PhilDMorris, thanks a lot for your comment and love! <3
  5. Trey Trey, 7 months ago
    They just opened a medieval torture museum in St Augustine Florida. Maybe you can contact them to authenticate it. If I saw it I would of bought it too LOL WTFDYHT!!! Because it’s cool !!!
  6. glassbird, 2 months ago
    I wonder if it could've possibly been used by one of the fraternal organizations as part of one of their rites or pageants.