Posted 2 years ago
Finished the restore on my Hubley #509 Corvette at last. It was supposed to be completed before the Hubley Carryall restore I posted earlier this weeks. I had some issues with the final coat that held up the project.
Hubley cataloged it as a Custom Sport Car in '55 and as a Corvette in '56. It's a pretty large toy, over 12" long and it weighs about 4 lbs. It's the largest post war car Hubley made.
I got it at a decent price but it had a cracked windshield/dash and the plastic interior had shrunk. The interior had also been repainted in the reverse of the original colors. Also the hubcap for the spare was missing. I put a new replacement winshield/dash assy and found a never used or painted interior in group of parts on Ebay. I vacuformed a hubcap for the spare.
I used Testor's Gloss Bright Red and Chrome for the paint. I had trouble with the red paint chipping when removing the masking tape. I use Tamiya masking tape and usually don't have a problem when using my old reliable Krylon. I'm not completely happy with this restore, but I can live with it I guess.
Thanks for looking in,