Antique German Blue & White Porcelain Tile Cheese Board/Wall Hanging

In Pottery > Art Deco Pottery > Show & Tell and Pottery > Ceramic Tiles > Show & Tell.
Art Deco Pottery1 of 24Salt cellar marked Gabelia Gouda Vintage Czechoslovakia Pottery Two Handle Hand Painted Vase By Ditmar Urbach 1930's

ttomtuckerttomtucker loves this.
HunterHunter loves this.
valentino97valentino97 loves this.
Vynil33rpmVynil33rpm loves this.
keramikoskeramikos loves this.
truthordaretruthordare loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.

Posted 1 month ago

billretire…

This was one of my finds at the Flea Market today Saturday 07/12/2019. I'm not sure how old, or where it was made. It's a Blue & White porcelain Art Deco design 11 1/2" x 6 7/8" beveled edge Tile locked into a tenon joined and doweled Wood frame, with a handle on the top Cheese Cutting/Serving Board/Wall Hanging, total size 9"wide x 15 1/2"long x 3/4"thick, it's marked on the back right of center with a Blue under glaze diagonal ink stamp [ Dec. 15'16 ] and a green H under glaze in the center and above, it looks like something had been tacked with 4 tacks to it, and removed, just under the handle grip. It might be French, or Delft Holland, but not marked. I cleaned it up, because the wood was stained with dirt, and rust, at the Handle where it had been hung by a wire or nail.
    The Dec. 15'16, may be December 15, 1916, just a guess. It might be Dec. 1576
    The 4 tacks may have held a metal store tag, presentation tag, that the owner remove because it was scratching a surface, again a guess! :^D

Thank you for looking, all comments are welcome, and information on this, is appreciated

Comments

1. Watchsearcher Watchsearcher, 1 month ago
      Nice butter mold also!
    2. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 1 month ago
      Thanks Watchseacher, that's the newest that I have, so now 5~6, but I got it last year! :^D

Thank you both for the love that you gave, Brian, and Watchseacher, very nice! :^)
    3. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 1 month ago
      Thanks for stopping Kevin, and for the love that you gave! :^)
    4. art.pottery, 1 month ago
      Think that’s 1576 (European style crossed 7). Neat piece!
    5. truthordare truthordare, 1 month ago
      Could be German or Austrian, reminds me a lot of their porcelain and metal trays, with a Secessionist type decor. Thanks for posting.
    6. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 1 month ago
      Thanks art.pottery, for your comment! :^D After looking closer at it that's what I discovered too!

Thank you truthordare, that does have a similar look, I'll have to look in that direction! :^D Thanks for the love that you gave also! :^)

7. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 1 month ago
      This is what I found after your suggestion truthordare, that it's probably German, here's a link to a piece that has a similar back mark:

I still haven't found anything close to my Tile Tray, but maybe I'm not wording my search correctly! :^)
    8. keramikos keramikos, 1 month ago
      billretirecoll, Cool. :-)

FWIW, 1576 was a significant year in the development of what came to be known as Delftware:

*snip*

The earliest tin-glazed pottery in the Netherlands was made in Antwerp where the Italian potter Guido da Savino settled in 1500,[2] and in the 16th century Italian maiolica was the main influence on decorative styles.[3] The manufacture of painted pottery spread from Antwerp to the northern Netherlands, in particular because of the sack of Antwerp by the Spanish troops in 1576 (the Spanish Fury). Production developed in Middelburg and Haarlem in the 1570s and in Amsterdam in the 1580s.[4] Much of the finer work was produced in Delft, but simple everyday tin-glazed pottery was made in places such as Gouda, Rotterdam, Haarlem, Amsterdam and Dordrecht.[5]

*snip*

9. truthordare truthordare, 1 month ago
      @billretire
      There seems to be another small 2 line impressed mark, on the left side of the blue date. I think because this cheese tray was meant to be hung and decorative, the design is not styled the same way on purpose as a regular tray. You might find something similar, but not exactly the same. I love these kinds of antique European trays.

@keramikos
      I never heard the term 'tin glaze' before so went and found this description on Wiki.
      "Tin-glazed pottery[1] is earthenware covered in glaze containing tin oxide which is white, shiny and opaque (see tin-glazing for the chemistry); usually this provides a background for brightly painted decoration. It has been important in Islamic and European pottery, but very little used in East Asia. The pottery body is usually made of red or buff-colored earthenware and the white glaze imitated Chinese porcelain. The decoration on tin-glazed pottery is usually applied to the unfired glaze surface by brush with metallic oxides, commonly cobalt oxide, copper oxide, iron oxide, manganese dioxide and antimony oxide. The makers of Italian tin-glazed pottery from the late Renaissance blended oxides to produce detailed and realistic polychrome paintings."

This made a lot of sense to me, as porcelain was not produced in Europe till a few centuries later, to replace the Chinese white porcelain exports that had been in use for a long time by the wealthy classes of Europe.

In Germany there was also what they called earthenware 'salt glaze', during the 19th century and earlier which gave the ceramic piece a glossy speckled white sheen, sometimes in blue and white and with a majolica design sharp texture.

10. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 1 month ago
      Thank you both for your Comments, and Contributions, for this post keramikos, and truthordare, it's very informative, and truthordare, the 2 green lines are an H, but I don't know what it designates!
      I also forgot to take a before cleaning photo of the Tile/Tray, it was a mess, and probably the reason I didn't have to pay too much for it! I think it's a great piece now, just would like to find out more about it! :^D

Thank you for the love that you gave keramikos, and Vynil, it's appreciated! :^)
    11. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 1 month ago
      My #1 Mary, you stopped by, and gave this a love! I thank you for it! :^)
    12. valentino97 valentino97, 1 month ago
      I hope to meet you and your family this year! Love your #1Mary
    13. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 1 month ago
      That would be great my #1 Mary, if I'm not buried by all my treasures! :^D Never know when the BIG one will hit! Hopefully we can make that happen! Meeting, not the Earthquake! :^)
    14. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 1 month ago
      Thanks for stopping by for a look-see Hunter, :^D and for the love that you gave, for what you saw, it's appreciated! :^)
    15. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 1 month ago
      Thank you for the love you gave Ttomtucker, it's always nice to get! :^)