Posted 8 months ago
History—description of GB Lewis Shipping boxes—
1915 GB Lewis Shipping Boxes used to ship bread to troops in WWI; then used by Haeger until 4/30/16 –outside dimensions are: 34” long x 24” wide x 19 1/4” tall
Used by Haeger Pottery in E. Dundee, IL for their heavy pottery products from 1930-April 2016, these wooden shipping containers had their historic beginnings as part of the history of the GB Lewis Company in Watertown, WI.
These containers were used to ship bread to the troops in WWI, thus being produced approximately 1916. An award for durability was given when some were hit by shrapnel in the Argonne Forest. This information may be seen on line in the 1921 edition of the Watertown High School Orbit under The Lewis Box.
Extremely well-constructed. All corners are steel wrapped and nailed in. Bottom slats supported by cross piece mortised in. 3 layers of wire keep slats uniform. Wire wrapped on bottoms as well.. Crates are stackable. All crates have been power washed with a commercial power washer with Murphy's Oil Soap and rinsed. Approximately 100 years of dirt was washed off. Capable of holding 100 lbs. Original lids are NOT on these boxes as Haeger used them without the lids for the past 86 years. Boxes are very stackable in several ways.
Don't they deserve a break?