Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Any Idea What This Might Be?

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Love it
Like it

blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
AnythingObscureAnythingObscure loves this.
RichmondLoriRichmondLori loves this.
CisumCisum loves this.
See 3 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 2 months ago

    (17 items)

    I believe this tool was made by a company called Sutton located in South Hampton. Great Brittan. But I'm not sure what its used for, do you?

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    Lie Nielsen Number 8 Plane
    Lie Nielsen Number 8 Plane...
    4 Antique Brass Swan Neck Bails Cabinet Drawer Pull handles approx.  3"cntr #H39
    4 Antique Brass Swan Neck Bails Cab...
    K110- Antique Stanley Bailey  No.2 Smoothing Hand Plane
    K110- Antique Stanley Bailey No.2 ...
    Vtg Collins & Co. Hartford Legitimus Puget Sound 13-3/16" Felling Axe 4 1/2 LB
    Vtg Collins & Co. Hartford Legitimu...
    Lie Nielsen Number 8 Plane
    Lie Nielsen Number 8 Plane...
    See all


    1. Cisum Cisum, 2 months ago
      Hello..I believe it to be a older Flat Head Driver And possibly Canadian Made Due To The Sutton South Hampton Inscription.
      There is also a Sutton Tool Company in Australia that has been around for over a 100 years.

    2. Cisum Cisum, 2 months ago
      Could Also Be For Wood Carving/Chisel.

    3. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 2 months ago
      I've seen old screwdrivers in that shape, so tend to think that first...but it all depends on how sharp its tip is or would have been. It doesn't seem to have grinding marks to suggest its tip was a cutting edge that'd been repeatedly sharpened (which would point towards lathe tool/chisel instead) and if that's true, its likely just a well worn screwdriver.
    4. Congcu, 2 months ago
      It is referred to as a "turnscrew", the term was used before screwdriver. Term is still use in England and Europe. Marples and others made them.
    5. Odauctions Odauctions, 2 months ago
      Thanks guys, you'er the very best.
    6. Onedtent, 2 months ago
      @congcu has got it. All I can add is the example in the photo is badly worn on the front. It should be square across to engage the screw head.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.