Noritake china made in occupied Japan

In China and Dinnerware > Noritake China > Show & Tell.
Noritake China31 of 51noritake mayo/gravy bowlNoritake N1395

mcrunk1mcrunk1 loves this.
chinabluechinablue loves this.
Maggie-DogMaggie-Dog likes this.

Rosemarie

I have this Noritake covered vegetable bowl that is stamped "made in occupied Japan." I've seen several similar patterns but not this one. I'm having trouble identifying the pattern. Do all Noritake patterns from this time period (c. 1947) have names. If so, can anyone help me identify this pattern?

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. jizzie, 2 years ago
    I believe your pattern name is AHLEN
  2. Rosemarie, 2 years ago
    It's very similar but not the same. Mine has red around the perimeter.
  3. chinablue chinablue, 2 years ago
    Very pretty! I love to look at Noritake china... but I hate trying to ID it. *LOL* They have SO many patterns that are so similar it makes it quite difficult unless you're a real Noritake nut. I feel the same way about Haviland Limoges. As far as I know they all have names or pattern numbers for identification. I found a couple that were very close, but I don't think they are the same as yours. You can check if you like. They were Hampton, Pattern # 582 (but I think they quit making it before WWII) one called Lindon and another #N393. I don't know if you have looked at a place called replacements.com, but they offer a free ID of china, crystal and silver. You might want to check there if all else fails, if you haven't already. They aren't always 100% accurate, but they're pretty darn close! One thing that I find difficult is identifying a pattern from just a serving piece or a cup and/or saucer. The patterns just look different, at least to me when not on a flat surface. Hope you find it and if I do, I'll post it here.
  4. Rosemarie, 2 years ago
    I reached out to replacements. I'll let you know what they say.
  5. Rosemarie, 2 years ago
    According to Replacements it's mystery no. 175 by Noritake. I guess it doesn't have a known name.
  6. chinablue chinablue, 2 years ago
    It probably sounds odd, but I'm sorry you didn't find the name. I have a set of Rosenthal that I've been trying to ID and ended up in the same situation. Guess I just wanted it to have a name.. like I wanted YOURS to have a name! I'll keep my eyes open and if I ever see it named, I'll be sure and post it here.
  7. Rosemarie, 2 years ago
    What's interesting is that this is mystery #175. How many mystery patterns are there?!? This pattern is not that old.
  8. chinablue chinablue, 2 years ago
    I found an article that might help explain some of the problem with Noritake unnamed/unidentified patterns and thought it might interest you. This is an excerpt from that :
    "During World War II and the Korean War, many Japanese companies mass produced a wide variety of china patterns specifically to sell to U.S. servicemen at military PX stores. “Because they were produced so quickly, many patterns didn’t have names,” says Sullivan. He says there are thousands of Japanese-produced china patterns that were never named."
    If you'd like to see the entire article, you can see it here: http://www.britain.tv/eatingout_americasmostwantedchinapatterns.shtml
  9. Rosemarie, 2 years ago
    Chinablue - thank you so much for the link: the article is very helpful. It explains alot!
  10. Rosemarie, 2 years ago
    Chinablue - Replacements has over 200 mystery patterns!