Richard Rohac bronze figure , formerly worked for Hagenauer

In Art Deco > Art Deco Bronze > Show & Tell.
Art Deco Bronze61 of 122J B Hirsch Standing Pirate / Soldier with a Sabre, Bookends, 1932 - 33, Designed By J RuhlLe Verrier Demarco"Le Jeunne homme accroupi" The Crouching Youth, 1926

VintagefranVintagefran loves this.
tom61375tom61375 loves this.
ZowieZowie loves this.
toracattoracat loves this.
peteypetey loves this.
SignaholicSignaholic loves this.
gargoylecollectorgargoylecollector loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

pickrknows

This is a re-post with some better pictures of an item I previously posted. Finding out more about it all the time, but there is conflicting information about the mark. Here's what I mean,
http://www.sheryls-artdeco.com/bronzes10.html ,,, or this one,
This is definitely by Richard Rohac, formerly worked for Hagenauer, from what I've learned, most likely to be confused with Rena Rosenthal, who ordered items from Hagenauer for her store in N.Y., but a very beautiful form regardless.

Comments

1. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Great repost Bernie, it really looks a lot more appealing with these great photos, more beautiful than ever !~
  2. pickrknows pickrknows, 1 year ago
    Thank-you Phil for the nice comment! BTW, the package shipped today! Cheers!
  3. pickrknows pickrknows, 1 year ago
    Thank -you Moonstone & blunderbuss also!! Cheers!!
  4. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    stunning:)
  5. pickrknows pickrknows, 1 year ago
    Hey ,thanks Sean, whats with the new profile buddy?
  6. claudia1971 claudia1971, 1 year ago
    Hi Bernie, I just found some information on an website written in German.
    looks like it is Rohac. he used the "RR" when he opened up his own business. on this page it says that when Rena Rosenthal bought products of Hagenauer, to sell in her shops in ths US, the WW never marked them with RR. That's the info I found so far! good luck
  7. claudia1971 claudia1971, 1 year ago
  8. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    your very welcome pickrknows , that requires a phone call:) lol:)
  9. pickrknows pickrknows, 1 year ago
    Thank-you Claudia for the link, very helpful!
  10. pickrknows pickrknows, 1 year ago
    Thank-you Mani, Mike, gargoyle,and Perry for the "loves"
  11. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Yes the link from Claudia is very nice.
  12. AmandaAddamsAuctions AmandaAddamsAuctions, 1 year ago
    Yes made by Richard Rohac, who worked at Hagenauer then opened his own factory in the late 1940s, through to the mid 1960s , he died in the mid 1960s, so he only manufactured for about 17 years, attached is a link to read more about this ttp://en.wikicollecting.org/david-freeman-s-collection-of-hagenauer-and-art-deco-nubians
  13. pickrknows pickrknows, 1 year ago
    Check out this link Phil,
    the best part is Davids description of a collector. I'd like to re-post it here, it's that good,,
    In David's words

You don't realise when it happens or how it happens but all of a sudden you realise that you are a collector, you know that you're a collector because you find it painful to throw anything away (I mean anything).

Before you know it you have been collecting for years and even decades, not only have you been collecting but also you have been conserving, recycling and reclaiming as well as re assigning and amassing.

Your taste may stay the same or you may go off into different directions but your still a collector, you may one day find yourself overpowered by your collection (more often it is the spouse how is overwhelmed) and sell it all, but before your know it there you go again collecting.

Some people start of collecting as a trend, a pastime or by accident as a tourist no matter how they become collectors because it's "in the blood".

Collectors come in all shapes and sizes and budgets; collecting knows no gender, religion or nationality.
    Collectors are highly sentimental creatures, incredibly curious and they become experts in their own rights. There are the odd collectors who are ashamed of their habits, I say be proud because through your obsessive-compulsive behaviour you have learned a great deal of history, have conserved recycled and reinvented (all noble attributes).

Be proud as you're not drunks, smokers or gamblers, yours is a positive and rewarding addiction, you haven't poured money down a drain, you have enjoyed the chase, the possession and you will reap the financial rewards when it is time to sell.

As for me I have been collecting now for fifty years (WOW!), I have gone into numerous directions of collecting, the one thing that I have stayed true to is "A thing of Quality is for Ever" and "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" My collecting passions from 1961 to 1969, the learning phase, I purchased anything that was well priced, I will always remember my first purchase in 1961 as a ten year old bidding against adults –Munyards Auctions at Croydon market (Outer Eastern Melbourne suburbs) purchasing a late 19th century Ansonia cottage clock for 2 shillings and 6 pence. My collecting phase from 1970 to 1979 was Australian pottery and carnival glass; I amassed over 200 items, and then sold the whole collection to one dealer. From 1980 to about 1990, I went through my Doulton Lambeth studio pottery phase, amounting a huge collection, of Hannah and Florence Barlow, Mark Marshall, Frank Butler, George Tinworth etc, which due to a marriage break up, I had to sell to one collector at a fire sale price. From 1990 to about 1999, I went through my Art Glass phase, also amassing a huge collection, before slowly selling off the collection. From about 1999 onwards, my passion, has been Art Deco, 20th century design, Art, and Hagenauer African figures, I still enjoy finding that rare and exciting item to add to the collection.

Friends and clients over the years have asked me to guide them into the next big thing! In collecting, what should they buy and how to avoid pitfalls.

My answer is always the same; only collect what you like or what you are passionate about (you can't go by other peoples likes or dislikes).

There is no one answer to successful collecting, the variables are great as you continue to collect you become an expert in your field based on experience, sure you will make loses but the losses will lead you to great wins, Happy collecting!

This describes most all of us here to a tee!
    This should be added to the home page of this site!

14. AmandaAddamsAuctions AmandaAddamsAuctions, 1 year ago
    I agree it should be added because it is not only true to me but to all other serious and compulsive collectors.
  15. pickrknows pickrknows, 1 year ago
    It describes me to a tee !!
  16. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    This posting of your Hagenauer figurine is a perfect place for this reminiscing of a true collector, I know that I have sometimes and most all the time missed the items I had sold greatly, really greatly. Or worse yet, selling a collection. A piece that garners the most attention at one particular moment can become your favorite piece, but that can change at a moments notice. One thing I always hated was someone looking over my home and saying " if there was a fire, and you could save one piece... ," Well you get the drift.
  17. AmandaAddamsAuctions AmandaAddamsAuctions, 1 year ago
    Just in case you missed this- this is a link of my collection on television 5 years ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpn-Y_r3AZw
  18. pickrknows pickrknows, 1 year ago
    Thank you for showing us your beautiful home, amazing collection!
  19. pickrknows pickrknows, 1 year ago
    I hear you Phil, tough choice to part with pieces or collections, much easier and more fun to be finding them new additions !
    Been to many a fire, and the most precious thing next to your life and that of loved ones, is the momentoes of your life, as they cannot be easly replaced. Everything else can be replaced or substituted with a "new" thing.
    It is all just stuff after all, but we sure do love our stuff too!! Thats why we collect!
  20. pickrknows pickrknows, 1 year ago
    Thank-you toracat for the "love"!!
  21. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    I trade , I would love have for the trade:)
  22. pickrknows pickrknows, 1 year ago
    Sorry buddy, my daughter has her eyes on this little beaut! Anything else?
  23. pickrknows pickrknows, 8 months ago
    Thank you Kevin for the love!!
    Cheers! !
  24. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    She's gorgeous Pickrknows!! The legs and arms look similar to a dancing figure i got recently, here..
    Love your opinion, as i know very little about figures & only recently started to collect them.
  25. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    Ps. Love the 'collectors' quote. I bet most people on here can relate to that, i know i can, my fads change, but I've always collected, anything i like, & hate to throw anything away. My dad & myself are the only two real collectors in the family (so i blame him:) his house is full of lovely Deco, even the furniture!
  26. pickrknows pickrknows, 5 months ago
    Thank you vintagefran for the nice comment and the love!!
  27. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    A pleasure. She's beautiful:)
  28. Vintagefran Vintagefran, 5 months ago
    I love the blackened bronze look.