APACHE REED BASKET

In Native American > Native American Baskets > Show & Tell.
Native American Baskets12 of 2863 woven bowls Was my great grandmother's. Need help identifying.

SunnybrookSunnybrook loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
Tlynnie1942Tlynnie1942 loves this.
Woman34Woman34 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
filmnetfilmnet loves this.
shareurpassionshareurpassion loves this.

Posted 4 months ago

CWcollection

A very nice example of an Apache Reed Basket. very strong construction showing age no broken reeds.. I vacuumed the interior. A gift from my wife's father. I found it in his garage when they moved
I sent photos to a dealer in Arizona and he confirmed that it was Apache. around the 30's. he offered to place in his store for 50% of sale . I still have it.

Comments

1. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 4 months ago
    That about just made me laugh! Offered to put it in his store for half. How kind! haha
  2. PostCardCollector PostCardCollector, 4 months ago
    That is Apache. My grandson is part Apache, his other grandmother was born on the Reservation in Northern AZ. We all live in AZ. and recognized it right away. How wonderful!!We do have some artifacts in the way of shaker and rattle feathered (not much left of those)"instruments" used in dancing--They are also beaded.
    I think 30% is the going rate for consignment--so he was not honest.
  3. CWcollection CWcollection, 4 months ago
    I though so too.
  4. CWcollection CWcollection, 4 months ago
    Hi PostCardCollector
    Thanks for the interesting comments. I thought that 50 percent was too much.
    Also I would not know what he sold it for
    BD

5. Tlynnie1942 Tlynnie1942, 3 months ago
    Nice! And you made the right choice in keeping the basket. When you get an offer to buy from an appraiser or dealer that you did not ask for....always say NO thank you. Do your due diligence and research to get a good idea of the average selling price, if you are thinking about selling. It can be time consuming but finding out the true worth of a great basket after you have already sold it for much less can be, um, a bit of a shock to the system LOL.
  6. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 3 months ago
    50% isn't bad at all - particularly here in the bay area where i live. 30% is more common these days - a reflection of the hugely inflated real estate market, i suppose. that said, i wouldn't have sold it either. it's a real beauty!
  7. Tlynnie1942 Tlynnie1942, 3 months ago
    I have gotten offers on some of my baskets, but I have never sold one once it is in my collection. My son loves them as much as I do, so they will be his one day :)
  8. CWcollection CWcollection, 3 months ago
    Hi Tlynne1942
    Thanks for the comment!
    I had it appraised about 2 years ago and they gave me a value between 550 to 700
    If it was placed at an auction. I was told it dates to some time in the 30's . I don't know how auctions work .
    It is really sturdy, and I am amazed at the tight weave. I have seen larger ones and it amazed at how they were able to do that.