Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Antique Lever Tool - Any Ideas what it is for?

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware1820 of 9058Trowel? Ingersol Rand Crowe Safety Saw
Love it
Like it

WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
Horseradishman1Horseradishman1 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
hunterqleehunterqlee likes this.
See 3 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 3 years ago

    (8 items)

    Hello all,

    I was given this unusual tool and can not find any information on what it was actually used for. I am fairly certain it is antique, eg pre 1910. The lever arm moves freely. The handle is wooden.

    I have researched button hooks, corset hooks, boot hooks - but can find nothing even remotely similar so maybe I am looking in the wrong area.

    Any ideas / knowledge appreciated.

    Mystery Solved
    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/Glass Knob In Antique Turquoise/Teal Accent
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/G...
    (6) VTG Antique Furniture Drop Handle Drawer Pulls Bails Back Plates Rope Edge
    (6) VTG Antique Furniture Drop Hand...
    Record 072 Shoulder rebate plane woodworking tool vintage tool plane
    Record 072 Shoulder rebate plane wo...
    Brass Cabinet Latch Antique Furniture Latch Victorian Eastlake Cabinet Latch
    Brass Cabinet Latch Antique Furnitu...
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/Glass Knob In Antique Turquoise/Teal Accent
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/G...
    See all


    1. Irishcollector. Irishcollector., 3 years ago
      Might be a tack puller for saddlery, upholstery, or shoemaking? Looks too small for a nail puller.
    2. Piddlewick Piddlewick, 3 years ago
      Thank you Irishcollector! In researching what you say I am finding a few examples. Fantastic!
    3. Watchsearcher Watchsearcher, 3 years ago
      I think it's meant for hooking on to something and cutting that "something" off.
      I think this could be an early type of animal castrator device.
    4. SharpGuy, 3 years ago
      Irishcollector is right. Circa 1880-1900.
    5. Horseradishman1 Horseradishman1, 3 years ago
      Not saying anyone is wrong because I don't know what it is. I saw one on another site that called it a tack remover also. It just seems a clumsy tool for tacks when a simpler prying tool would do. The lever looks to short to give much leverage if used by hand squeezing. It looks to me like the user would put the lever against something solid and push with the wooden handle. Maybe a crimping tool? Try pulling a tack....
    6. hunterqlee hunterqlee, 3 years ago
      One just like this sold as an antique upholstery rack puller, and sold for 18 pounds.
    7. Jefnf, 2 years ago
      Yep.. nail or tack puller. Never used one cause I don't make mistakes. Lol
    8. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 2 years ago
      I was thinking it is a link fix. Years ago you used a very similar tool to repair links in tire chains etc.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.