Found in Iao Valley, Maui

In Folk Art > Wooden Folk Art Objects > Show & Tell.
Wooden Folk Art Objects6 of 727tree filled bird carvingsHolly Tornheim Wood Tray (Work of Art)

auraaura loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
mj19696mj19696 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
Vynil33rpmVynil33rpm loves this.
billretirecollbillretirecoll loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.

Posted 2 months ago

Junglejohn
    (1 item)

Does anybody know what this is or how I can find out? King Kamehameha battled Maui warriors here up in this Valley in the year of 1790. This knife handle worst found high up the valley at the bottom of a stream

Comments

1. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 2 months ago
      Welcome to CW Junglejohn, very nice piece, I could help, but hopefully someone can. I'll be checking back! :^D Thanks for posting! :^)
    2. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 2 months ago
      I wonder why you even mention Kamehameha? How did you determine it is a knife handle? Post a picture of the metal end please and provide some dimensions. You have room for another photo.
    3. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 2 months ago
      I better explain. Take the picture looking into the end where the steel of the blade would go.
    4. mj19696 mj19696, 2 months ago
      Really cool looking!
    5. Watchsearcher Watchsearcher, 2 months ago
      You should send pictures to some of the museums in Hawaii, such as the Bishop Museum in Honolulu and the Mission Houses museum. There’s a maritime museum there also; I think it incorporates a ship called The Falls of Clyde.
      The figure looks like a seaman, maybe a sea captain.
      I hope members here can determine what this is.
      Anything from the days of early contact of Hawaii by outsiders would be of historical interest to museums of Hawaii.
    6. CanyonRoad, 2 months ago
      I don't think there is any connection with King Kamehameha or with a knife. It appears to be the stopper from an Indonesian lime container.
    7. renedijkstra, 1 month ago
      vintage stopper of a betel nut chewer