Chinese Republic Period Famille Verte Covered "Ginger Jar"

In Asian > Chinese Pottery > Show & Tell and Asian > Ginger Jars > Show & Tell.
Chinese Pottery15 of 43017th or 18th century Dehua or Blanc de Chine Libation CupChinese old ceramic jar

BroochmanBroochman loves this.
RadegunderRadegunder loves this.
Vynil33rpmVynil33rpm loves this.
truthordaretruthordare loves this.
TreyTrey loves this.
renedijkstrarenedijkstra loves this.
auraaura loves this.
AdeleCAdeleC loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.

Posted 4 months ago

APEXantiques

A lovely Chinese Republic Period Famille Verte/Canton Ware Covered "Ginger Jar" with a large cartouche on either side featuring beautifully hand enamelled flowers & insects/butterflies.
    With Six Character Qianlong Mark in Iron Red.

logo
    Chinese Pottery
    FINE CHINESE LONGQUAN CELADON GLAZE FOLIATE RIM CHARGER PLATE EARLY MING DYNASTY
    FINE CHINESE LONGQUAN CELADON GLAZE...
    $455
    Antique Chinese Jinyao Pottery Bowl - Song Dynasty
    Antique Chinese Jinyao Pottery Bowl...
    $128
    AUTH. 12THC CHINESE CELADON QINGBAI CLOUD CARVED FLARED RIM BOWL SONG DYNASTY
    AUTH. 12THC CHINESE CELADON QINGBAI...
    $100
    VERY RARE CHINESE DING WHITE GLAZE WATER KENDI EWER TANG DYNASTY
    VERY RARE CHINESE DING WHITE GLAZE ...
    $420
    logo
    FINE CHINESE LONGQUAN CELADON GLAZE...
    $455

Comments

1. renedijkstra, 4 months ago
      Porcelain vase, Famille Rose, Marked six character mark Da Ming Guangxu Nian Zhi
      look at left character on the top( triple dot) this is highly apographical , you got fade out on the caracters (see top right caracter, nice anyway
    2. Trey Trey, 2 months ago
      Welcome to CW:)
    3. APEXantiques APEXantiques, 2 months ago
      A marvelous resource no doubt!
    4. Trey Trey, 2 months ago
      I love hitting the show and tell Feature And all activities so you get a live feed of all the stuff that has been loved recently.
    5. truthordare truthordare, 2 months ago
      apographical - no such word.
      topographical - relating to the arrangement or accurate representation of the physical features of an area (land).
      apocryphal - (of a story or statement) of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true.
      archaic - or obsolete, of an early period of art or culture.
      caracter - no such word should be character.

I find this Chinese jar charming, circa mid 20th or so . It still has much indication of hand painted motifs, and the reign mark is of course is archaic, one that does not apply to the period this was produced in as an export, the GUANGXU reign period of 1875-1908, soon before the Republic of China replaced the Imperial Monarchy of China, in 1911.

The more recent pieces of the 20th show less painting and more transfers that have been slightly hand decorated. Thanks for posting.
    6. renedijkstra, 2 months ago
      I'm glad you finally identified a mark well
      luckily this wasn't that hard for an expert like you who studied Japanese and Chinese for years
      how about the Japanese vase, translate please, you are the expert !!!
      i am just an illiterate fake,
    7. renedijkstra, 2 months ago
      truthordare have you already learned to notice signs on cinnabar, or was that too difficult, no, because you have studied Japanese and Chinese for decades, apart from the excavations you have been to
    8. welzebub welzebub, 2 months ago
      TOD says: "apographical - no such word."

The word Apograph relates to a copy or a transcript.
      Apographical would be a derivative of that word indicating that it is in the manner of a copy in this instance. This would be in the same manner that topographical is a derivative of the word topography.

So a more accurate statement above would have probably been:
      "No such word - In my vocabulary at least"
      or
      "I don't understand or recognize that word. I should probably look it up."
    9. renedijkstra, 2 months ago
      tod is probably right you cant put this in an adjectivum or adverbium
    10. renedijkstra, 2 months ago
      Amicus Welzebub sed major amicus veritas"
    11. renedijkstra, 2 months ago
      l? sh? (lol)
    12. welzebub welzebub, 2 months ago
      Actually, TOD is dead wrong, which is compounded by the fact that she is unnecessarily "correcting" someone incorrectly.

"Apograph" is a noun, and "apographical" is a correct and recognized adjective derived from the word. You can verify it as such on dictionary.com. And I agree with your comment 10, but the truth of it is, that apographical is actually a recognized adjective.

13. renedijkstra, 2 months ago
      I did not know that, I am too lazy, that is character weakness actually, because etymology, poetry and high stakes poker are my hobbies
      and for the rest I make a lot of mistakes because I can hardly see anything, and I usually have to rate vintage and I see vintage little because it doesn't make the cut on auctions
      what my opinion is about art is not really important, it is about people enjoying their purchase
      and it is not about bragging rights and ego but I think I have earned my spurs
      however,but I continue to have great difficulty with unethical purchases and unethical provenance or art , probably just ignorance and no intention
    14. APEXantiques APEXantiques, 2 months ago
      Well that was indeed a storm in a Ginger Jar!
      truthordare, thank you for your information, I appreciate your honesty.
      How else will I learn what is good & what isn't if someone isn't blatantly honest with me!?!
    15. renedijkstra, 2 months ago
      is there a merit in being absolutely honest, just a philosophical question
      ginger bread medallion with a red classic brand are almost always counterfeit try to buy the red marks with the double framed mark
      old vases have ferrous corrosion
      if you buy a colored vase with a scene, then you should be able to see the eyelids not just a dot except if it is blue white but they have the after glare on the bottom
    16. APEXantiques APEXantiques, 2 months ago
      Gentlemen, I appreciate all input for opinions are like anus, everyone has one and most are full of fecal matter!
      Seriously though, through the sometimes harsh yet always insightful comments here, I am beginning to get an idea of what I really should be looking for.
    17. truthordare truthordare, 2 months ago
      As a non gentleman, but rather an interested woman Asian piece collector, I am repulsed by your comment. Some members have fun disputing anything they can find, such as poor spelling and use of vocabulary, and even how you should convey your information, sort of an obsessive effort at controlling the site and who and what is deemed appropriate in their eyes. One can only return the favor. Sorry if you the poster end up in the middle of this sad interchange.

Good reason not to comment here on this site anymore, life is too short. If someone comments and does not love your post, you can see what their purpose is.
    18. welzebub welzebub, 2 months ago
      That comment from the member whose first order of business was to incorrectly "correct" a members vocabulary..... Kettle? Black? Ringing any bells?
    19. renedijkstra, 2 months ago
      If someone comments and does not love your post, you can see what their purpose is, by the way this thesis is a syllogistic inaccuracy, the conclusion ought to be inconclusive
    20. renedijkstra, 2 months ago
      the minor premisse is not present
    21. renedijkstra, 2 months ago
      come on kids forget it . let,s start all over it aint worth it