Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Can anyone identify this strange v tool?

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
SharpGuy's loves13 of 75SABRE knife (blade) with bone handleDoes anyone recognize what type of knife this is?
Love it
Like it

SharpGuySharpGuy loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
Vynil33rpmVynil33rpm loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
dav2no1dav2no1 loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
See 5 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 2 years ago

    (14 items)

    Hi guys...

    Here are two more unusual tools from my late father's extensive collection.

    The first is a rather strange shaped v tool, or as I understand, also called a parting tool. I cannot find any other examples of this butterfly shaped gouge blade. Can anyone provide any further details about this... And why does this seem so uncommon?

    The other is a very beautiful gouge by W Butcher with a very unusual inlaid wood handle. I cannot find any other examples of this online.

    If anyone can share any information about either of these tools would be greatly appreciated! You guys know a hell of a lot more than I do about such tools and I appreciate your time and expertise.

    Thank you!

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    17" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
     Viking type light bearded axe / hatchet with handle - RARE SHAPE!!!
    Viking type light bearded axe / ha...
    Neilsen Multi Tool Hatchet Wood Axe Hammer Pry Bar Nail Puller Builder Roof Log
    Neilsen Multi Tool Hatchet Wood Axe...
    9pcs Keys BIG Large Antique Vintage old Brass Skeleton Lot for DIY Making Lock
    9pcs Keys BIG Large Antique Vintage...
    17" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
    See all


    1. Gillian, 2 years ago
      You don't give any sizes, but the first one looks like it could be used to make furrows, like a tiny plow.
    2. Gillian, 2 years ago
      A tiny, tiny plow!
    3. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 2 years ago
      I would venture to say the first one is intended for veining wood moldings or cleaning them before painting. The second one is a wood carvers chisel.
    4. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 2 years ago
      Not disagreeing with fhrjr2 about the first one, just tossing out the possibility that it could be for leatherworking, too...?? (I've seen a something, somewhere, maybe. . . ??) The second one does have a cool handle indeed! Sorry I can't add anything actually useful about either one... <lol> :-)
    5. EricWood, 2 years ago
      Thanks for your replies so far, guys. The V shaped tool was with my father's woodcarving chisels, so I'm pretty sure it was for wood. I was just curious about that shape as I see nothing at all like it online except for regular V shaped chisels. This is more butterfly shaped.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.