LALIQUE COQUILLES DISH "A/F"

In Art Glass > Lalique Art Glass > Show & Tell and Art Deco > Show & Tell.
Lalique Art Glass54 of 63RLalique Perfume bottleMy Lalique "GUI" Bowl

FineLinesFineLines likes this.
rlwindlerlwindle likes this.
lisalisa likes this.
ozmartyozmarty loves this.
vintagemadvintagemad loves this.

vetraio50

I found this dish/charger in a Salvation Army opprtunity shop about three months ago for a dollar.
In Australia these stores are known as the "Salvos".
I once owned a large bowl in the clear version of this pattern, so I was familiar with the shape. What surprised me was that it was one of the opalescent variety. So my heart was a-pumping when I saw it only to be rudely calmed by the sight of those "ugly metal staples"!
The last time I had seen staples in glass was thirty years ago in Tiffany Favrile bowl with trailed vine leaves. The staples were in the foot that had been badly glued together. It's still in the hands of my partner of that time. We had had it professionally restored and it was well worth the effort.
But STAPLES!
Why did they do it? And then I realized that in those days (?) it was what you did with an object that you wanted to keep .... it was still meaningful to them.
In Australia this type of work was done by "gypsies". It is actually very clever work in itself. The glass was drilled from below for the majority of the staples (6) and from above to anchor it all in place at each edge. Eight ugly staples.
Most of the signature is actually hidden by the staples in the centre of the plate. But to one edge you can make out from above: R. ------E.
A dealer friend of mine said that early in his career he had the idea of only collecting repaired pieces.
It may well be worthless but it is still functional and placed properly it can be difficult to see that crack right across the beautiful A/F charger.

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. ozmarty ozmarty, 3 years ago
    I had that Idea too! It was not only "gypsies "that did the repairs like this , I remember probably the last person in Sydney that did it in the State Theatre building in early1970's .
  2. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Thanks Marty, I'll look into it!
  3. upstatenycollector upstatenycollector, 3 years ago
    Very nice. I have some Roeville that has been repaired, including some Vista. It's way too beautiful to throw out or leave on a shelf somewhere.
  4. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Thanks very much for the comment, I agree totally. Having the real thing in your hands is an education in itself - perfection on a budget!
  5. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Hi! Coquilles St Jacques is the dish and scallops they be! It also has great symbolic value. The shell was carried by pilgrims in mediaeval times on their way to the grave of St James in Santiago de Compostela, in Spain. It was a guarantee that you'd be fed by those you met on your way. It is also a symbol of the female principle, love and fertility. Botticelli's Venus rides from the waves in a scallop shell. It all adds to the beauty and the meaning of the pieces that Laique fashioned.
  6. Spackova Spackova, 3 years ago
    I read somewhere that stapled items are scarce and becoming collectibles in themselves. Definitely a good buy!
  7. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Thank you Spackova!
  8. susan, 3 years ago
    Hi, i agree with you all, just because it is stapled does not mean it is worthless, i think it is beautiful.
    By the way, the candlesticks in the background, are they Wedgwood Sheringham?
    and if so are they black?? i have never seen them in black.
  9. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Hi Susan! Thanks for your comment.
    I believe the cast iron candlestick (the Hobart) was designed by Robert Welch in 1962. Other designers adopted this motif of stacked discs or flanged patterns in the 1960's - 80's ( Carlton Ware and Gouda Flora). Ronald Stennett-Wilson also stacked disks in his Sheringham glass candlestick design (1967).
    There is also a cake plate or stand. I have not yet found one.
    This piece was re-issued in small numbers by Robert Welch's own company (in plain iron, and in red or white enameled versions), so check for the old white round stickers or the triangular Design Centre sticker if you want an original.
  10. susan, 3 years ago
    Thanks Vetraio for the information, i used to have a Robert Welch stainless steel handled Tazza, it was quite shallow with a plain ring foot, it dissapeared when my hubby decided to clear out the pantry :-(
  11. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    But you kept him ? LOL.
    Thanks again!
  12. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Many thanks wolcott1!
  13. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 3 years ago
    Still beautiful! :)
  14. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Many thanks austrohungaro and scandinavian_pieces too!
  15. rocker-sd rocker-sd, 3 years ago
    I have had a few pieces of Antique Ironstone that had stapled repairs and they usually sold faster then comparable mint pieces.
  16. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Many thanks Hedgewalker and rocker-sd too!
  17. ozmarty ozmarty, 3 years ago
    hi Kev , look at this .
  18. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Many thanks Marty!
    I've added it to a list of "fabulous".
    There's a little Chinese export bowl with 'beauty spots':
  19. BeauxPurdy BeauxPurdy, 3 years ago
    Frankenstein Called and would like you to return his dish....
    I Love It!
  20. vetraio50 vetraio50, 3 years ago
    Hi Beaux Purdy! many thanks! Check out the andrewbaseman blog. It is amazing!
  21. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    You are joking! Two!
  22. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Hi Eye4! I agree. Check out comment 14.
  23. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Hey no I always love going to his site!
    He has the most amazing "Monsters"!
    Thanks for bringing it back on top!
  24. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Many thanks SEAN, MSL and bratjdd too!
  25. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    your very welcome Kevin:)
  26. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Rivets can be beautiful!
  27. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Treasured pieces someone was not prepared to throw away!
    Past imperfect!

"Imperfect" comes from the Latin imperfectus "unfinished", because the imperfect expresses an ongoing, uncompleted action. The equivalent Ancient Greek term was paratatikós "prolonged". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperfect)

An aside!:
  28. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    I agree with Kevin!!!
  29. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    This one was a dollar too!
  30. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    vetraio50, WOW you are blessed to find great finds!!! XOXOXO
  31. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    and you too MSL!

Blessed ... what me worry?

32. vetraio50 vetraio50, 12 months ago
    Many thanks TOM61375!
  33. tom61375 tom61375, 12 months ago
    You are very welcome vetraio50! =)