Rommel & the Afrika Corp.

In Books > Military and War Books > Show & Tell.
Military and War Books34 of 107WW2 Manintenance Manual for Watches and ClocksDeutsche Panzer Grenadiere 1939-1945

kjdixokjdixo likes this.
Ted_StraubTed_Straub loves this.
SizzleSizzle loves this.
pops52pops52 loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
inkyinky loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

blunderbuss2

Steve bait! he seems to be hiding but sure this will draw him out. Picked this really interesting book up at a flea market while visiting the States for $1. Even the dust-cover is perfect. Loaded with great pics & details. Always been interested in the N. Afrika campaigne.

Comments

1. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 1 year ago
    Got an old fella up the road who was there....he's one of a handful of hells bells still alive..92
  2. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    After I posted that, I got interested & was researching some. Rommel was outnumbered 5 to 1 (including the Italians). have to admit that I'm impressed. No wonder he was called "The Desert Fox". History is fascinating & a shame we don't ever seem to learn from it. Who is back on top in Europe again?
  3. AmberRose AmberRose, 1 year ago
    I am reading about early Patton right now and thinking I wanted to read about Rommel next. Got a good recommendation?
  4. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Amber, the one posted here is very comprehensive.
  5. scottvez scottvez, 1 year ago
    Amber, read his own words: "Attacks".

It covers Rommel's WW1 Infantry experiences and contains timeless lessons in combat leadership.

The book has been required reading for US Army Infantry leaders for years.

scott
  6. Chrisnp Chrisnp, 1 year ago
    I would also recommend "Attacks." I have a copy here at home and it's quite readable and insightful.
  7. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    Hi Lucas....OK I'll bite....it's drawn me out..lol. A very nice book and good find/condition. Lately I just don't seem to get any time to myself for CW or anything else for that matter....I have just quickly stopped by now (02:04 Hrs!) trying to find out about this "Blue Max" guy (presumably a new CW member?) you mentioned in your last comment on my "Grenade" posting...any pointers to him for me? (You can't actually "search" CW for members...just "items"...whats he been posting??? ...............anyway...speak soon (hopefully!)

Steve
  8. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    He has been posting a whole lot of magnificent blud'clot steins of "reservists" from pre WWI. Great collection. You need to ck them out & be as impressed as I am. I've asked how he found all these from pre-war but no reply yet. You will love them. Like he found a 1907 German time vault. Hard to believe. He is: bluemax191(8?).
  9. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Steve, look under "steins".
  10. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    bluemax1914. I have to add something or they say "too short", so have a nice visit home.
  11. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Thanks Kevin. I don't know all them thar tricks like yo carpetbaggers. hey, Kansas is fur'in to me. Twert'n listed with the South during The War Fur Sudden Independence.
  12. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    We're having too much fun, so it must be time to go to bed!
  13. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    11:00 here. I'm sure you have heard of time zones.
  14. AmberRose AmberRose, 1 year ago
    Thanks for the book recommendations...Attacks was on my potential list but I worried about it's "readability" Will start it next!
  15. scottvez scottvez, 1 year ago
    It is very readable and the leadership lessons are applicable beyond military service.

scott
  16. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    Thanks Lucas & Kevin..will go check out bluemax1914 while I have chance!
    TTFN, Steve
  17. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    Re: Bluemax1914: I had already "loved" and "collected one of his items, without realising you were talking about the same guy!:
    I'm not into "steins" but they are very fine for sure!. His WW2 German items are outstanding! He certainly knows his stuff! A real asset to CW!
  18. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    So Steve, you are back from your clandestine activities. Get any good souvenirs? Yeah, I'm glad to see Bluemax1914 on-board too. I've forgotten so much about things that is nice to have a fresh mind to remind & teach. I'm 66, act 33 & feel 99 some mornings.
  19. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    Hi Lucas! Yes I'm back for a short while (they let me out!)....yeah got some..now wait for this......got some....(made some!).... HAND CAST .303 180 grain spitzer boattail bullet heads...cast in a mix of pure lead and old recast tyre weights (right alloy or summat!)....oh and boy when handloaded on usual cases and propellent load they fly truer AND more accurate than either Factory Ammo or Military Surplus Ammo (latter, usually variable or downright "iffy"). I may not have been able to try my hand at Black Powder...but I'm stunned that hand cast ammo for "modern" rifled weapons CAN outshine the like of Sellier & Bellot or even Hornady/Sierra! I'm well & truely shocked! We went on to Moly-Coat the heads for even better performance and reduction in barrel fouling from the pure uncoated/jacketted lead.
    P.S. I'm 55, act 55 & feel 105 most mornings!
  20. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Tyre weights (were/still) are almost pure lead. Be careful adding antimony, tin etc. as a very small amount can make lead too hard. Have all my old reloading equip. on the Fr. side & the guy I sold it to says I can have it back. I'm working on a lic. to reload for the police & lic'd people on the dutch side. I have good gov't connections & look forward to reloading again. They like the idea since this recent scare in the U.S. has made ammo hard to get as all is sold out. See applications for PAM (non-stick cooking spray) & want to try it with dies as well as other things. Using it in muzzle loaders appears to work.
  21. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    The guy advising/teaching the casting (fascinating and absorbing "pastime") did waffle on about "alloys" and dangers of making the ammo too soft/too hard...he seemed to know what he was talking about so we left charging the crucible to him while we had fun with the tap and moulds at the other end...we must have cast 1000's..time just flew..a real pleasure in a "Zen" like way...if you know what I mean...anyway..

I have always reloaded all my own ammo...only trust it that way...except rimfire of course. Also Government "Green Spot" is just fine too If'n ya can get in-line when that's being handed out! Like I say...hand-casting heads IS a new and VERY suprising direction for me!
  22. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Using boat-tail, it is advisable to use copper base caps when making hot loads with softer lead as it will melt & unbalance bullets. Of course that means another operation. I'm looking forward to getting back into reloading but we need to talk on another site. There are a lot of tricks i have to remember and learn as it's been at least 42 yrs since I did it. Like riding a bicycle though. I suggest you tag onto The High Road (not the medical one) site for answers & experienced advice. CW is not the site for this.
  23. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    True enough..good point! ;)
  24. kjdixo kjdixo, 9 months ago
    I love books that go into such detail with photographs and drawings. Dorling Kindersley (publisher) books often put great effort into their illustrations and 'exploded views' of machinery etc. I have 2 Rommel books, I bought secondhand they are: 'With Rommel in the Desert' by Heinz W. Scmidt and 'The Trail of The Fox - The Life of Field-Marshall Erwin Rommel' by David Irving. Both books are hardback and include black and white photographs. I will read them one day.
  25. kjdixo kjdixo, 9 months ago
    Sorry Heinz W. Schmidt not Scmidt. :-)