Share your favorites on Show & Tell

What is it?

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware6166 of 9204New addition:)Electric Fan
Love it
Like it

lisalisa loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
Peasejean55Peasejean55 loves this.
jacko66jacko66 loves this.
lzenglishlzenglish loves this.
surfdub66surfdub66 loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
See 7 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 7 years ago

    (4 items)

    Anybody know what this tool is? I got it with another tool from c1860 - a combination square made by J. R. Brown & Sharpe. It looks like an early stapler, but there isn't a staple housing. It appears to be a trimmer of sorts. When you squeeze the handle the section below the hand pulls back and opens a diamond shaped hole. The hole is open to the top of the front support. It could be either wire or wood was threaded through the top, and when a section was needed, the handle would be squeezed, the section inserted, and when the the handle was released it would snip the wood or wire???? Can anyone help?

    Mystery Solved
    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    Vintage Antique Solid Brass Bacchus Dionysus Greek God Of Wine Face Door Knocker
    Vintage Antique Solid Brass Bacchus...
    Brass Cabinet Latch Antique Furniture Latch Victorian Eastlake Cabinet Latch
    Brass Cabinet Latch Antique Furnitu...
    Antique Cabinet Furniture Key Hollow Barrel Skeleton Key
    Antique Cabinet Furniture Key Hollo...
    Early Black Raven Axe Kelly Axe Mfg. Double Bit Charleston W,Va Outstanding Logo
    Early Black Raven Axe Kelly Axe Mfg...
    Vintage Antique Solid Brass Bacchus Dionysus Greek God Of Wine Face Door Knocker
    Vintage Antique Solid Brass Bacchus...
    See all


    1. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 7 years ago
      an early stapler, maybe?
    2. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 7 years ago
      or nail gun?
    3. fortapache fortapache, 7 years ago
      Wire stripper?
    4. surfdub66 surfdub66, 7 years ago
      Early rivet gun or studder ??
    5. slackjack, 7 years ago
      This is used by a window glass installer. It pushes a diamond shaped piece of sheet metal into the window frame to hold the glass before the putty is set in.
    6. lzenglish lzenglish, 7 years ago
      Nice work "slackjack", as that is exactly what it is, as you already know,lol!. Nice find!
    7. jacko66, 7 years ago
      bet me to it, well done know, as glaziers point driver
    8. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 7 years ago
      I still have some of the old push points but no driver so I use a screw driver. These were really handy and a time saver.
    9. Pacer_place, 7 years ago
      Thank you very much. You've been a big help. Tom
    10. EJW-54 EJW-54, 7 years ago
      I used to use one of these fixing windows! they worked good!
    11. Kydur Kydur, 7 years ago
      I worked in a frame shop / photo lab in the 1980-90s and this tool was/is also used in picture framing - shoots little diamonds into the wooden frame to keep the glass, photo, and backing cardboard in place; then a layer of Kraft paper is fastened over the back of the frame with double-sided tape.

      A real hassle to remove the diamonds with a pair of pliers though, especially in the hardwood frames!

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.