Mamenchisaurus Dinosaur British Museum Natural History by Invicta

In Toys > Show & Tell and Animals > Show & Tell.
Toys24 of 3703A pair of toy flintlock pistolsLazer / Cannon Arm  Action Figure or Baby Toy ?

iggyiggy loves this.
nutsabotas6nutsabotas6 loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.
TassieDevilTassieDevil loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.

Posted 1 month ago

fortapache

This post is has two facets, the toy and the actual creature. I think I will start with the actual creature.
The main feature of this dinosaur is that it had the longest neck of any creature that ever lived. It was close to 50 feet long. There is conflicting information so have to average and guestimate.
It is thought that it would not have been able to raise its head high due to the strain on the heart. But other animals with long necks have valves that keep blood from flowing down when the head is raised. This creature could have reared up to reach high branches according to me.
The neck had bones to support the neck along the underside of the neck suggest the neck was always in a straight line so the model here is unlikely but possible.
OK on to the model this was made by Invicta in the late 1980s. These seem to be based on the Marx dinosaurs for the solid color molding and style. This was the first time since the Marx dinos of the 1950s and 60s that there had been any serious attempt at toy dinosaurs. There are some inaccuracies such as the elephantine feet and skin.
Safari Ltd and other companies started making painted versions in the 1990s so this line went extinct but I believe this line will be a collectible of the future.
The Wooly Mammoth in photo 3 is the same scale and part of the same line. Photo 4 is drawer where I keep them. I painted most but I think I will get some in the original condition.

Comments

1. Newfld Newfld, 30 days ago
    Great history on dinos, so hard to believe they really existed & weren't legendary
    - Jenni
  2. TassieDevil TassieDevil, 30 days ago
    Had to really look for the mammoth Fortapache! How cute, these are great:-)
  3. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 30 days ago
    Nice bit of history shared, thank you !
  4. kyratango kyratango, 30 days ago
    Great (huge!!!) post, and nice job on the painting, Fort!
  5. Rick55 Rick55, 29 days ago
    Excellent info Fort. The only long neck I've ever heard of was the brontosaurus and now this one. This is what I love about CW… learning about things that I otherwise would have never heard about. Thanks for sharing :)
  6. racer4four racer4four, 29 days ago
    He's a looker!
  7. buckethead buckethead, 29 days ago
    Cool dino - nice write up. I could use a real one for trimming a few of my taller trees.
  8. fortapache fortapache, 29 days ago
    Thank you very much Newfld. They were fantastic and real.
  9. fortapache fortapache, 29 days ago
    Thank you very much TassieDevil. It blends into the background a bit.
  10. fortapache fortapache, 29 days ago
    Thank you very much Phil.
  11. fortapache fortapache, 29 days ago
    And thank you very much kyratango.
  12. fortapache fortapache, 29 days ago
    Thank you very much Rick55. I have a few more too, diplodocus, brachiosaurus and one other.
  13. fortapache fortapache, 29 days ago
    Thank you very much racer4four.
  14. fortapache fortapache, 29 days ago
    Thank you very much buckethead. It would probably just leave the trunk which would be handy.
  15. fortapache fortapache, 29 days ago