OLD GAMEWELL DIAPHONE FIREHOUSE HORN

In Firefighting > Show & Tell.
Firefighting3 of 475Avoid the Fire HYDRANT

BrunswickBrunswick loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
bucketheadbuckethead loves this.

Posted 15 days ago

EJW-54

HI All ! I brought this home from the scrap yard thinking it was a Siren but with a 1" pipe feeding it I have my doubt. I was thinking if not a Siren then maybe some sort of fog horn? It does have spinning parts inside and I put air pressure to it but only got a hum out of it as I don't have enough air volume to spin it fast enough but it does spin, the horn is brass and the inside parts are aluminum and brass, so what do you think? Anybody know what it is? I can't find anything like it on the net. UPDATE, Old Gamewell Diaphone fire horn from the top of a fire house, you can hear one on youtube. Patented in 1910 and some are still used today.

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. buckethead buckethead, 15 days ago
      Appears to be a metal venturi blower.
    2. buckethead buckethead, 15 days ago
      Let's try this again....
      https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/AIR-BLOWER-VENTURI-PNEUMATIC-17IN/p/ASIASI1000 :)
    3. EJW-54 EJW-54, 15 days ago
      Thanks buckethead but that's not it ,. Venturi blower has no moving parts,this has spinning parts inside ... it's got to be some kind of siren maybe for a factory??
    4. Rattletrap Rattletrap, 14 days ago
      Looks like and air horn to me. Might require 100# pressure to operate it?
    5. EJW-54 EJW-54, 14 days ago
      I finally found out what it is on line, a Gamewell Diaphone fire/fog horn !
    6. yougottahavestuff yougottahavestuff, 14 days ago
      I guess now you can blow your own HORN!!! but you better let your neighbors know!!!
      Nice Find!!
    7. EJW-54 EJW-54, 13 days ago
      Thanks Rattletrap, you were right, I just need to feed it with at least 1/2"or larger pipe and quick blast of air to get it to work. :)