Bob's Big Boy at Lakeside Museum

In Signs > Gas, Oil, and Service Signs > Show & Tell and Signs > Porcelain Signs > Show & Tell.
Gas, Oil, and Service Signs50 of 1397Havoline oil flange sign Rare Waggoner petroleum ranch sign

TreyTrey loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
hunterqleehunterqlee loves this.

Posted 4 months ago

Rattletrap

My son called me at 4:30 am today to tell me that this Big Boy was listed on a local ad and wondered if I wanted it for the Lakeside Museum since we already have one. The answer is now obvious.
    Bob Wein started the hamburger chain in Glendale Calif in 1936 and invented the double burger along with several other great food items Bobs became famous for. It was great food in the 50s when I was a kid and a lot of cute girls hung out there. Marriott Corp bought it in 1967 and sold it in 1987 to Elias who went bankrupt in 2000. Sad to see what mismanagement can do to a great business.
    The Big Boy looks great along side the Texaco Station and will bring memories back to all the old timers that visit. Our local Bobs was called JBs.

Comments

1. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 4 months ago
      That's cool Rt, I don't know what happened to the Big Boy that was in our area, when it closed, the new café kept the Big Boy in the entrance way, but when Mel's took over, Big Boy disappeared! :^D Thanks for showing, and keeping the memories alive! :^)
    2. Rattletrap Rattletrap, 4 months ago
      Billretirecoll
      Thx for the comment. I think this one came from the Salt Lake JBs of years ago. Lady in SL had it for sale this am early. Couldn't resist and price was fait. I'm always looking for good stuff at the right price
    3. Coke1234 Coke1234, 4 months ago
      Big Boys in the Detroit area in the 60’s was a favorite drive threw . Girls girls and girls and yes the food wasn’t bad either when your a teenager. All those 60’s muscle cars making the rounds on Woodward ave. Even a few T birds.
    4. Rattletrap Rattletrap, 4 months ago
      Coke1234
      Exactly! Bobs was a great place where everyone wanted to hang out. They had good food, fair prices, and lots of social activity. I don't know any places like Bobs these days, but I'm old so don't know much of anything.
    5. Broochman Broochman, 4 months ago
      I worked at Big Boy in my teens. Where I'm from we call them Frich's. Till this day, I still like their food! :)
    6. Rattletrap Rattletrap, 4 months ago