Share your favorites on Show & Tell

some sort of gauges or mystery tools with numbers but no name in metal box please help identify !!

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
SharpGuy's loves6 of 7559 ElCamino /years laterWeapons Wednesday World War One German Ersatz Bayonet
Love it
Like it

SharpGuySharpGuy loves this.
lzenglishlzenglish loves this.
CisumCisum loves this.
kwqdkwqd loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
dav2no1dav2no1 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
Vynil33rpmVynil33rpm loves this.
AnythingObscureAnythingObscure loves this.
See 7 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 2 years ago

    (9 items)

    Each tool has a number but no name they snap into the metal box in the photo any info would be great thanks

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    17" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
     Viking type light bearded axe / hatchet with handle - RARE SHAPE!!!
    Viking type light bearded axe / ha...
    Neilsen Multi Tool Hatchet Wood Axe Hammer Pry Bar Nail Puller Builder Roof Log
    Neilsen Multi Tool Hatchet Wood Axe...
    9pcs Keys BIG Large Antique Vintage old Brass Skeleton Lot for DIY Making Lock
    9pcs Keys BIG Large Antique Vintage...
    17" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
    See all


    1. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 2 years ago
      I'm surprised that nobody else has come up with a purpose for these tools yet, which I myself can't help with either, but they look really cool and more importantly really *specialized* for whatever task they are meant for. Seems logical that they could be things for an auto (tractor, etc) engine mechanic to use (valve tools, or brake tools, or whatever) but if that was the case somebody would have clued us all by now, which leaves me guessing they're for some other not-so-common 'calibration' process of something for either building or fixing machinery.

      Hope we all get an answer to your questions, so we can all learn what they really are?!! :-) :-) :-)
    2. gregsfinds, 2 years ago
      Thanks for chiming in hope someone knows what they are for
    3. Motoolz, 2 years ago
      These look like "go/no go" gauges to measure tolerances of maybe small shafts. Smaller than one "bump " but larger than the other. Can you use an inside micrometer on the bumps? Doe the numbers represent thousands of an inch."
    4. Cisum Cisum, 2 years ago
      I want to say Music tuning forks, used to find pure tones from resonation and yet could be forks for electrical work/application.

    5. lzenglish lzenglish, 2 years ago
      I agree with everything Motoolz says in post#3. TO ME, This "LOOKS LIKE" the kind of specialty measuring tool used in production lines by Machinist and Inspectors, or others.

      PS: Now that i have said all that, it will surely turn out to be a left handed tuning fork. for a right handed piano !! LOL.........

      Take Care,
    6. gregsfinds, 2 years ago
      I do not know anything about these or what the numbers mean but thanks for chiming in someone knows out there exactly what they are?
    7. Motoolz, 2 years ago
      Hey! I got someone who "almost" agrees with me! That proves I,m right! Right! Part of the fun is the different "opinions" I enjoy this site
    8. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 2 years ago
      Two of us who agree w/you Motoolz... ;-) and I also wholly agree how enjoyable this website is, for those (most?) of us that like 'learning new stuff about old stuff'...
      :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
    9. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 2 years ago
      (quoting Motoolz)
      "PS: Now that i have said all that, it will surely turn out to be a left handed tuning fork. for a right handed piano !! LOL........."

      <LOL> too, my CW friend. I can't agree with Thomas's suggestion of 'tuning forks' (though it ain't impossible) because they don't usually come with the little bumps on their insides like these tools have...oh yes, I've got a few legit 'tuning forks' laying around my house too, not to mention a half a herd of really good left or right hand pianos that don't actually belong to me... <LOLOLOLOL>

    10. dav2no1 dav2no1, 2 years ago
      I also believe that they are specialized calipers. And looking at the case closer, it appears that they are protected in there.

      I did out of curiosity look into tuning forks frequency for ENT doctors and radar gun calibration. There was some military device that used similar frequency to the marks, but the forks looked different and these appear to have handles. That would point back to a hand held measuring device
    11. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 2 years ago
      One more observation -- the numbers stamped on these don't strike me as common ''tuning fork' pitch numbers, the most common of which would be something like "A-440" which would be the first (if not only) actual tuning fork a piano (or organ) tuner would start with. Still hoping we all somehow discover what they really are, though?!
      :-) :-) :-)
    12. Motoolz, 2 years ago
      Just a couple of questions. The two that are marked 147-153. Seem to have a post on the end of the flat handles. The post seem to have a step or groove. Do they have two different diameters? Have you "measured"" one tool with the other ? Do they "fit" between the bumps? Do you have access to micrometer to measure the post in relation to 147 and 153. I'm still thinking go-no go gauges until you decide that can not be it.
    13. dav2no1 dav2no1, 2 years ago
      So I was thinking the other side was a handle that interchanged...but..what if we're looking at it backwards? It appears the flat end with notch are the same size? What if that end clips into a...solder or heat gun...and the round end was the business end?

      The ones woth the round pieces..not sure? Maybe extentions or special use?
    14. gregsfinds, 2 years ago
      The 147-53 do have a step and a groove in the post on the rear they appear to be identical
    15. gregsfinds, 2 years ago
      The forked ends of the rods perfectly snap in to place on the rod in the box therefore I believe the cylindrical ends are the gauges or? and the forked ends are the handles
    16. gregsfinds, 2 years ago
      After looking at them more closely from smallest to largest the sizes are as follows
      .130,.135,.140,.145,.150,.280,.320 and the two marked 147-153 with the step and groove
    17. dav2no1 dav2no1, 2 years ago
      Ok..does that forked end with notch fit the black ones where the round part is? Kinda like an extension piece?

      The box was interesting..that little box part in the upper a handle or something went there.
    18. gregsfinds, 2 years ago
      No the forked ones do not fit the black
    19. Onedtent, 2 years ago
      My 2c worth: They look like go-no go gauges. Possibly for sheet metal?

    20. Onedtent, 2 years ago
      A further suggestion: Go -no/go or wear gauges for roller chains?

      One end would measure the wear on the pin/roller and the other end would measure the stretch of the chain.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.