Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Metal Detector Find~ Cast Iron Gargoyle Looking Thing

All items200496 of 243303Native American Handmade  Smoke PipeKodak close up attachment
Love it
Like it

CelieneCeliene loves this.
tom61375tom61375 loves this.
EthologistEthologist loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
sarahoffsarahoff loves this.
mikielikesigns2mikielikesigns2 loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
VontrikeVontrike loves this.
fossilhunterfossilhunter loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
HunterHunter loves this.
HedgewalkerHedgewalker loves this.
vetraio50vetraio50 loves this.
mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
mizjanemizjane loves this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.
See 14 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 12 years ago

    (310 items)

    Here is another metal detector find from a while back. It appears to be some kind of cast iron gargoyle looking thing. At first I thought it went on a piece of furniture, however, there are no holes of any kind to attach it. It seems to sit on something, but as I stated, there is no way to attach it.
    I have always been quite fond of this little guy.
    Any ideas?


    1. musikchoo musikchoo, 12 years ago
      That is a very COOL find packrat-place!!!
    2. packrat-place packrat-place, 12 years ago
      Thank you very much for the kind words musikchoo, BELLIN68 & scandinavian_pieces
    3. mizjane, 12 years ago
      I kindof looks like there are foundry marks on the underside. An iron gate capital?
    4. packrat-place packrat-place, 12 years ago
      How would you attach it? No holes, no hooks, and it is not broken off anything.
      Appears to be a cast iron sand casting.
    5. packrat-place packrat-place, 12 years ago
      Thank you very much mizjane & mrmajestic1
    6. packrat-place packrat-place, 12 years ago
      Thank you very much eye4beauty
    7. vetraio50 vetraio50, 12 years ago
      It's for the edge of something. I've seem similar things used to prop open a sash framed window, but they had a horizontal profile rather than the right angled one here. There would be something heavy holding it in place from above, at a corner.
    8. Hedgewalker Hedgewalker, 12 years ago
      Now that is extremely cool packrat !!!
    9. mrmajestic1 mrmajestic1, 12 years ago
      Just a thought, it looks like this fits on a corner and something (heavy enough) would sit on the pad at the back of the neck to 'attach' it to something else. Now just what that is, I don't know.
    10. fossilhunter fossilhunter, 12 years ago
      Cool find. It looks like it could be a planter pot leg. Most of the time I see them in terracotta but it looks like it works on the same principal for a cast iron planter. Or possibly a woodstove leg, or claw foot bathtub foot. They slide into a 3 notch slot and the weight of the piece holds them in. How big is the guy?
    11. packrat-place packrat-place, 12 years ago
      That is a very good possibility, as it looks like it slides over a corner or something, thank you very much.
      Thank you very much also, Hedgewalker, vetraio50 ,Hunter & walksoftly
    12. packrat-place packrat-place, 12 years ago
      Thank you for the love Vontrike
    13. packrat-place packrat-place, 12 years ago
      Thank you very much miKKoChristmas11, jbcollector & mikielikesigns2
    14. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 12 years ago
      well, i guess we know why it fell off whatever it was unattached to....??!!
    15. packrat-place packrat-place, 12 years ago
      I noticed that also!!
      Thank you very much ho2cultcha, sarahoff & Ethologist

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.