1930's Franke & Heidecke Rolleiflex Award Bronze Medal

In Cameras > Rollei Cameras > Show & Tell and Medals Pins and Badges > Show & Tell.
Rollei Cameras1 of 11ROLLEIFLEX 2.8 E.Rolleiflex Automat II/X-Sync Custom

aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
inkyinky loves this.

Posted 4 months ago

mcheconi

Another rare (as far as I could investigate) find related to Rollei Werke / Franke & Heidecke, the company that created the legendary Rolleiflex twin reflex cameras back in the 1920's.

This is another piece that will require lots of research...oh my...

The medal measures 8,5cm in diameter and weighs about 90 grams. It is made of bronze and has a beatiful greenish patina in some places.

The obverse shows the Braunschweig Lion, a symbol of this Lower Saxony city, where Franke & Heidecke company was born.

The reverse is engraved:

Herrn Dr. Jayme Távora
In Dankearer Anerkennung (text was misspelled, the correct word is DANKBARER)
Seiner Hervorragenden Leistungen
Mit Der Rolleiflex Gewidmet
. Franke . & . Heidecke . Braunschweig .

Rolleiflex
Rolleicord

It translates more or less to: "Dr. Jayme Távora, In Grateful Recognition of His Outstanding Performance With The Rolleiflex, Dedicated by Frank & Heidecke - Brunswick".

This Dr. Jayme de Hollanda Távora was a member of the second amateur photography club founded in Brazil, in 1923, and called Photo Club Brasileiro. There's few information about him but in the 1960's, a Brazilian photography magazine called "Fotoarte" promoted an award bearing his name. He died in 1957. That's all I could find about him.

I wasn't able to find another medal like this. I will start to ask around and will edit this post if I have new info.

The last picture is the Braunschweig Lion statue and the only picture I could find of the "Dr. Jayme Hollanda Távora Award".

Comments

1. inky inky, 4 months ago
    Fabulous thing and great size...I love the lion on it!.....:-)
  2. AmberRose AmberRose, 4 months ago
    I really like this too.
  3. SEAN68 SEAN68, 4 months ago
    beautiful!!
  4. inlikeflynn inlikeflynn, 4 months ago
    very cool find..
  5. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 4 months ago
    At a time when great employees were considered and valued which has been much lost in this world, a great gift for that employee at a forgotten time. I see that you may have got this from that site in Reals money that you send me often.
    Have you tried to ask the person who sold it to you if there is a trail of who this belonged to ? What a fantastic piece, prized, beautiful !~
  6. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 4 months ago
    Jacky says the there is a mistake because a "B" looks like an "E" & was copied that way. The word is actually DANKBARER. (Thankful).
  7. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 4 months ago
    Scratch 1 of those. Puter went in snail mode & I clk'd again.
  8. mcheconi mcheconi, 4 months ago
    Done & the text was corrected...thank you so much Jacky and BB!
  9. mcheconi mcheconi, 4 months ago
    BB, it sounds much better now!
  10. mcheconi mcheconi, 4 months ago
    Phil, you're right. Our local "eBay" does have hidden treasures waiting for those who know what to look for. This is my second F&H/Rollei find in two years. I sent a message to the seller as you suggested. Once more, the piece was in Rio de Janeiro, that was Brazil's capital at that time and it shows how important was the Brazilian market to F&H expansion plans.
  11. mcheconi mcheconi, 4 months ago
    Got an answer from the seller...nothing...he says he bought it 15 years ago at an antiques' fair.
  12. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 4 months ago
    That is really sad. History hardly survives a few decades of our timeline if we are real lucky. However it is still a treasure that probably very few exist these days.