Stunning enameled brooch with rose cut diamonds.

In Fine Jewelry > Georgian Period Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Georgian Period Jewelry74 of 7819th Century French Enamel Miniature BroochCroix à la Jeannette.

aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
vintagemadvintagemad loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
VintageArgentinaVintageArgentina loves this.
Woman34Woman34 loves this.
DragonmumDragonmum loves this.

Agram.m

I absolutely love this brooch because the patient truss a whole good craftsman, diamonds and the blue colored Guilloche enamel.
The diameter is 1.18" and has a marvallous decoration of flowers with tiny rose cut diamonds set in silver, I believe. I would like to know from you what could be the origin it is and what the hallmarks mean. The last photo at the right is what I think to see an eagle' s head wich means 18K made in France. But I am not sure. On the third photo is a mark I can not decode. Do you? I would appreciate your opinion because until now I have not received satisfactory answers to my questions about this brooch!!

Comments

1. Dragonmum Dragonmum, 4 years ago
    I have an great agate cameo with a similar mark on the catch. It is a gold mark, but I'm drawing a blank as to the carats. They used different gold proportions back then. I do remember how surprised I was that mine was gold. It also isn't as old as yours. Mine is circa 1870.

Your pin is absolutely gorgeous, whatever the metal is!
  2. Agram.m Agram.m, 4 years ago
    Thanks ! If the hallmark is, as I believe, an eagle's head than it will be 18. So I think, if your ring has the same hallmark than it must be French of origin and 18K.
  3. vintagegem, 4 years ago
    Your brooch is just stunning! I see the eagle's head (facing right with a crook beak) on the c-clasp, which is the 18K assay mark for Paris. Sometimes we see a horse head which also indicates 18K gold that was assayed in other provinces. The mark on the pin stem may be the maker's mark which (even if you can make it out) can prove to be difficult to identify. The top portion on your brooch (the lattice work over the enamel) does appear to be silver. It was not uncommon to see diamonds set in silver as it is a bit sturdier than gold and shows them off better. I can definitely see why you love it!
  4. Agram.m Agram.m, 4 years ago
    Thanks for your comment with confirming the eagle's head mark. And I cannot identify the other hallmark either. We both love vivant colours especially cobalt blue as I can see on your site with those beautyful brooches in sparkling colours!
    Thanks again for helping me to identify my brooch!
  5. Woman34 Woman34, 4 years ago
    Hi- I also wanted to add that the diamonds could also be set in platinum- it is a high quality piece, and I wouldn't doubt that platinum could be a possibility as well.
  6. Agram.m Agram.m, 4 years ago
    Hallo Woman34,
    Thanks for your comment. To be honest I did not think in this way up till your idea. Yes, it could also be platinum instead of silver. I will ask of course when I've found a jewelry expert. And if you are right I also be sure that my other (another little cobalt blue brooch placed on this site too with a hidden place) brooch has the same.
    Thanks a lot anyway, I will take a look at your beautyful belongings!

7. Jenny, 4 years ago
    That brooch is delightful. I would wear it everywhere. I'd love to make a find like that.
  8. Agram.m Agram.m, 4 years ago
    Hello Jenmy,
    I'm glad with your compliment. And as you would know how lucky I was that I could buy it. Because the seller don't know up till now what treasure he sold.
    I'have the other blue enamelled little brooch with rose cut diamonds and the
    large silver and gold pendant (also shown here on this site) also bought from him. Before selling he mentioned that these were beautyful items but he really don't know the value of them. This to know it is so important to study a little bit in books, websites and so on on antique jewelry to get a bit knowledge from their manufacturing and their value. I know that I never have learned enough about this subject. Thanks again and I wish you also that luck to find something like this! I will look your preferences.

9. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Louisa, you understand this brooch is one of my favorite thanks for loving!
  10. Agram.m Agram.m, 1 year ago
    Dear Collectors, I would appreciate your opinion because until now I have not received satisfactory answers to my questions about this brooch!!
  11. Agram.m Agram.m, 1 year ago
    BHock45 Thanks a lot for loving
  12. Agram.m Agram.m, 1 year ago
    AR8Jason and Moonstonelover21 thanks for your loving but can you please advise about this brooch??
  13. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    Agram.m, to me it looks French in make and around the 1880's. Set in Gold with probably a Platinum top. Very common and this was for a wealthy Lady or a mistress...and what a treasure you found!!!! I do not see any heavy patina to lead me to believe its a Plat top and the setting is definitely French in origin. They loved abstract and layered with intricate detail. and flowers...I hope this helps...
  14. Agram.m Agram.m, 1 year ago
    Moonstonelover21 thanks you very much for the effort and knowledge. Please look also on the same jewelry special the brooch with hidden place. It's the same style as this with cobalt blue enamel and rose cut diamonds. Links:
    http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/24376-gegorgian-or-victorian-cobalt-blue-ename and:
  15. Agram.m Agram.m, 1 year ago
    bratjdd I appreciate all your support and lovings