Share your favorites on Show & Tell


In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Horseradishm…'s likes4 of 8here's my bunch of (common) glass insulatorscarpenters drill
Love it
Like it

yougottahavestuffyougottahavestuff loves this.
hunterqleehunterqlee loves this.
billretirecollbillretirecoll loves this.
shareurpassionshareurpassion loves this.
bobby725bobby725 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
AnythingObscureAnythingObscure loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
Horseradishman1Horseradishman1 likes this.
See 7 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 4 years ago

    (1 item)

    Absolutely no identification markings, appears to be cast and the triangular ends are machined smooth giving a flat surface for the three faces. Ideas?

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/Glass Knob In Antique Turquoise/Teal Accent
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/G...
    (6) VTG Antique Furniture Drop Handle Drawer Pulls Bails Back Plates Rope Edge
    (6) VTG Antique Furniture Drop Hand...
    Stanley plane No.212 Cabinet makers Scraper plane unused with Original box.
    Stanley plane No.212 Cabinet makers...
    Stanley plane No.9 Cabinet makers plane awesome hard to find condition.
    Stanley plane No.9 Cabinet makers p...
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/Glass Knob In Antique Turquoise/Teal Accent
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/G...
    See all


    1. lzenglish lzenglish, 4 years ago
      Question: I see that the underside is hollow, but are the other 2 sides concave towards the center of the tool?
    2. McCoyNelson McCoyNelson, 4 years ago
      I'm wondering if this is related to a harpoon in any way.
    3. Workstead, 4 years ago
      All three sides of the triangle are the same.
    4. Workstead, 4 years ago
      I suppose it could be a type of harpoon but there is no barb at the end.
    5. lzenglish lzenglish, 4 years ago
      You missed my question, as all 3 sides are not the same.The bottom appears to be hollow, correct? Now then, are the other two sides completely flat, from edge to edge, or do they have a concave center, which it appears they might, in photo #1? This is what i'm wondering, as it is very hard to see, but appears it might have? My best guess so far is a window pane glazing, and or paint scraper, but still looking for a look-a-like to confirm it.
    6. Workstead, 4 years ago
      I guess I'm not understanding your question. The "handle" is hollow. The three triangles and not hollow. One side of the triangle is flat with the handle as in the first and second pic. When I flip the handle 180 degrees, as in the third pic, the triangle has a point on the table rather than being flat. Sorry for any confusion.
    7. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 4 years ago
      I see what lzenglish is saying. All three sides of the arrow are concaved in a triangle shape, correct? It looks to me like they are. They are not flat in other words. It's an interesting piece. It reminds me of the old Mr Peanut can openers that were attached to the can where you peel it off, put the tab thru the slot and twist it off. This would be for an extra large can, of course... jest joking about the last part here! But it does remind me of that so maybe something a little similar??? and the tip of the arrow was used to pierce something? I don't know.
    8. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 4 years ago
      I just looked at it again and it's very old, therefore I am relating it to the cast iron pans I see where they are marked but it's very difficult to see. It looks to me like this is actually marked on the neck with what appears or could be 3 digits or letters. Which doesn't help but...ah, well???
    9. lzenglish lzenglish, 4 years ago
      Good Catch share! I saw that myself, when it was first posted.. The black finish is called "Japanning", and is a very thick paint like substance, so i would wire brush that area, to unveil any makers mark clue, that may be underneath it.
    10. billretirecoll billretirecoll, 4 years ago
      The 3 sides are concaved, it almost looks like it could be used as a sewing needle for heavy twine, for net making or something like that. I've never seen anything like it either! :^)
    11. Workstead, 4 years ago
      Thanks for you comments. I'll check it again even more closely than the previous times. I thought they were some intelligent markings but I'm pretty sure is is only rust pitting. :-(
    12. Workstead, 4 years ago
      The black finish is actually black rattle can paint. This belongs to a friend of mine who is an avid collector of unusual items. He cleaned the piece up and spray painted it. I think the things that look like markings are actually rust pitting. I'll have him wire brush those parts again to see it there is something there. Thanks for your observations.
    13. Bodee, 3 years ago
      Has anyone figured out what this is? I have a friend with one and we have no idea what it is. It seems to have a splitting type of head on it.
    14. TreasureTex TreasureTex, 3 years ago
      Could it be an antique PLUMB BOB or TENT STAKE?
    15. Jefnf, 2 years ago
      I've had many of these and assumed they were a hand held reamer. Maybe for plumbing

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.