Moonstone brooch ? 1930s

In Fine Jewelry > Moonstone Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Moonstone Jewelry2 of 96Sterling Moonstone NecklaceMoonstone bracelett  find.

BrunswickBrunswick loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.
Ms.CrystalShipMs.CrystalShip loves this.

Posted 1 month ago

Shirley68
    (1 item)

Hi folks this is my first post, I have a few items of moonstone jewelry, this is my newest acquisition, any ideas as to the maker? Not that it matters much as I absolutely adore this brooch. However, I'd be interested in your knowledgable opinions.
    Many thanks Shirley.

Comments

1. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 1 month ago
      Hi Shirley,
      Welcome to CW!
      This is beautiful and looks well taken care of. Stunning Moonstones and the detail is exceptional! I see it’s marked silver, you can also put it in the “fine” jewelry section, likely to get some answers there too...
      And please, post your other beauties!
    2. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 1 month ago
      Possibly Bernard Instone?
    3. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 1 month ago
      Seems he marked his pieces “silver” such as your lovely brooch.....
    4. Shirley68 Shirley68, 1 month ago
      Thank you Ms Crystalship for your prompt reply, I thought possibly Bernard Instone but am not really that knowledgeable so thought I'd ask and see what you folks thought.
    5. Shirley68 Shirley68, 1 month ago
      I have seen lots of examples of his crescent shaped brooches, however, none like this.
    6. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 1 month ago
      I’m by far no expert on Bernard Instone as I collect costume. It was the lovely detail that made me think of him. But just my two cents. Others will pop in, and know much more than I :)
    7. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 1 month ago
      Also type in the search box for moonstone jewelry and you will see other pieces from collectors here, like Peasejean55. Her collection is incredible.
    8. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 1 month ago
      I don’t think Bernard Instone could be wrong. Have a look on Pinterest and look at Sybil Dunlop, Amy Sandheim and disigners of the 1920-30s periods. It’s a lovely brooch.
    9. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 1 month ago
      In the art and craft period of the 1920-30s a lot of the designers didn’t mark their pieces so it can be difficult to attribute. It’s a gorgeous brooch and moonstone have a lovely hue colour. I wish you well on your research.
    10. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 1 month ago
      I was on my phone yesterday, and I thought you were in “costume” oops...
    11. Gillian, 1 month ago
      This is one I drooled over when it was posted:

Pinterest is really good for research - however, if I search for Instone, sure they'll come up with some, but also they show non-Instone, clothes etc?
    12. Shirley68 Shirley68, 1 month ago
      Thank you all for the advice I will certainly have a look on Pinterest. However as I say maker not that important to me as I just love the brooch.
    13. renedijkstra, 1 month ago
      hard to say it look likes cabuchons from Sybel Dunlop
    14. renedijkstra, 1 month ago
      but what the hell its looks like to me a very good peece
    15. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 1 month ago
      You’re right Shirley!
      When it comes down to it, it’s yours and it’s beautiful :)
    16. Manikin Manikin, 1 month ago
      Gorgeous !
    17. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 1 month ago
      It's got a bit of Zoltan & White about it. English with a strong Austro-Hungarian influence.
    18. renedijkstra, 1 month ago
      what the hell i am doing here because i was wrong again, jewels 1900 is probably right its probably Zoltan White which can be unsigned ,signed running number,
      signed sterling silver,signed silver , and signed hall marks zw and co etc , some hotshot told me , because i am a nitwit in this kind of stuff, as told the reason why its signed silver got something to do with import clearance, it beats me to say the least, but it appears to be around 1920
    19. Jewels1900 Jewels1900, 1 month ago
      Sometimes, when firms were making ranges of jewellery for specific clients, particularly international clients, they either wouldn't mark their jewellery or they'd mark it consistent with the standards for the market that it was going to be sold in. Not that that is necessarily the case for this brooch, but I know, for example, that you can find German jewellery from 1900 with a variety of marks including sterling, 800, 925, depose and the import marks for various different countries.
    20. kyratango kyratango, 22 days ago
      Agree with Jewels1900, thinking Zoltan White when I saw the pic :-)
      Glorious moonstones, it would be one of my fav piece too ;-))
    21. Shirley68 Shirley68, 22 days ago
      Thank you all so much for the information,much appreciated.