1885 Adams & Company Wildflower in Canary Yellow (Vaseline Glass)

In Glassware > Early American Pattern Glass > Show & Tell and Kitchen > Cake Stands > Show & Tell.
Early American Pattern Glass141 of 196Aetna Glass Adonis Opalescent Pineapple Amber Claret and StopperEAPG Hobbs open salt - Viking

fortapachefortapache loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
toolate2toolate2 loves this.
wolcott1wolcott1 loves this.
mikielikesigns2mikielikesigns2 loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.

TallCakes

This my most recent acquisition and the only cake stand I have in canary yellow or vaseline glass. The pattern is Adams and Company #140 Wildflower and was introduced around 1885. I now have four cake stands in this pattern in Rich Amber, Apple Green, Blue and this canary yellow. This one glows beautifully under black light. I need to practice a bit more on the photos for this one.

Added a photo of the tops of the four differnet colors without a black ligkt to show the color of the canary yellow. As apparent in the image the yellow does begin to take on a green tint in the thickest part of the glass at the stem.

Comments

1. miKKoChristmas11 miKKoChristmas11, 2 years ago
    Most beautiful! Will the cake glow, too?
  2. TallCakes TallCakes, 2 years ago
    thanks everyone; miKKo, I'll have to work on that glowing cake!
  3. miKKoChristmas11 miKKoChristmas11, 2 years ago
    Hi, TallCakes. My enthusiasm for the stunning cake stand made me silly.

It might be difficult to produce a palatable, truly flourescent 'cake', i.e. "icing". I read accounts of someone using turmeric, which has fluorescent properties, but the baker's judgment was that the icing was 'not palatable'. I don't doubt that you could create palatable icing, just predicting that it might well be difficult. On the other hand, it would perhaps be easy to produce a palatable, fluorescent, molded jelly for this stunning cake stand. But enough of my silliness....Jelly link below:

4. TallCakes TallCakes, 2 years ago
    now I'm wonderin' how those neon food coloring might react under black light? I do make an Amish pickled egg with turmeric; I'll have to check that with the black light next time.
  5. miKKoChristmas11 miKKoChristmas11, 2 years ago
    That was my first thought, and I did a cursory search. The ones I found looked neon in natural light, but didn't exhibit a 'glow' effect under black light. That doesn't mean that I found everything out there. I stumbled upon the turmeric item because the creator wasn't satisfied with the neon food coloring's 'glow' factor. As I said, my search was only cursory.
  6. Stillwater Stillwater, 2 years ago
    Are you SURE? I've seen that light green stuff listed as vaseline for YEARS, and it glows too
  7. TallCakes TallCakes, 2 years ago
    Stillwater; yes green glass may also contain uranium and glow same as Vaseline glass. It is just not called Vaseline glass unless it is canary. I have an apple green cake stand that glows in my items too; tho the pics are not that great. I'm experimenting more with manual settings to try to get better black light images:
  8. TallCakes TallCakes, 2 years ago
    Okay, just added another image to the apple green post to show the difference when compared to Vaseline in above link.
  9. Bruce99 Bruce99, 2 years ago
    Beautiful! Looks like something found in nature. Thanks for sharing it.
  10. Stillwater Stillwater, 2 years ago
    So they're both colored with uranium, but the apple isn't called Vaseline because its color is slightly different?... It sounds like its just semantics?... Like the difference between eggshell white and bone white
  11. TallCakes TallCakes, 2 years ago
    somewhat semantics; I didn't make the rules. Both are uranium glass but only canary yellow is correctly called Vaseline Glass. The eggshell is a whole nother matter; lol.
  12. RhondaCorvallis RhondaCorvallis, 2 years ago
    Amazing cake stands....how did you manage to find 4 cake stands in 4 different colors with the same pattern? Very beautiful!....
  13. TallCakes TallCakes, 2 years ago
    thanks Rhonda. I've been collecting the cake stand for many years. Part of the fun is finding patterns made in different colors and sizes.
  14. NativeJewelerylovers NativeJewelerylovers, 2 years ago
    Very nice collection, love them....So much beautiful EAPG glass was made and very underated... I love Richards Hartley apple green uranium, makes a fantastic glow.
  15. TallCakes TallCakes, 11 months ago
    many thanks to Itreasures, Aimstr and all the rest : )
  16. FanciGirl FanciGirl, 3 months ago
    Gorgeous, beautiful, fantastic, what other adjectives can I use?
  17. TallCakes TallCakes, 3 months ago
    hard to imagine these were first made almost 130 years ago : )