Vintage photo of my grandparents 1946

In Photographs > Show & Tell.
Photographs919 of 2947Photo of Silent film/Vaudeville actor as woman in blackface from Hartsook Photo SF-LAChair Help

toenail2toenail2 loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
toolate2toolate2 loves this.
scottvezscottvez loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
filmnetfilmnet loves this.

kygurl32

My grandparents in 1946. They met in 1945 right after my grandfather came home from the war. After 2 weeks of dating they got married. My grandfather carried this photo in his wallet covered in plastic until he passed in 2006. My grandmother then carried it in her purse. I went home for a 2 week visit in October of last year and she pulled it out and told me to take it home and make sure I always held onto it. She passed away 2 months later on December 20th. As much as I'd love to have them back I know they are whole again now that they are back together.

Comments

1. kygurl32 kygurl32, 2 years ago
  2. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Thanks for sharing your photograph and story.

Your grandfather was a combat medic during WW2-- the silver badge above his ribbons is the Combat Medical Badge (CMB).

Award criteria is/ was similar to the CIB-- medical personnel assigned to support units engaged in active ground combat (General req't-- if you look up CMB, you can find the FULL requirements).

scott
  3. toolate2 toolate2, 2 years ago
    Wow! What a treasure!! Make sure that story stays with it for future gens....
  4. kygurl32 kygurl32, 2 years ago
    Thank you scottvez for that information. He went on to be a Wardmaster at Walter Reed for several years until he retired. I always loved sitting and listening to his stories, they never got old. I agree toolate2, it was a treasure just having them in my life for all the years I was given with them. Thank you all for the loves
  5. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 2 years ago
    Great story and it is refreshing to see you paying them a tribute. A person remembered in this way is never forgotten. You are keeping them alive, remembered and respected. Thanks for sharing.
  6. kygurl32 kygurl32, 2 years ago
    thank you fhrjr2, they will always be very special to me :)
  7. chevy59 chevy59, 2 years ago
    I have a similar photo of my grandparents before my grandpa left for the service. My grandpa was born in 1915 and passed away in 2004. Thanks for sharing!
  8. kygurl32 kygurl32, 2 years ago
    Thank you chevy59....the photo's and memories seem to always keep them close. We are so fortunate to have had them, grandparents are amazing :)
  9. Hedgewalker Hedgewalker, 2 years ago
    Beautiful !!!!!
  10. kygurl32 kygurl32, 2 years ago
    Thank you Hedgewalker!
  11. kygurl32 kygurl32, 2 years ago
    Thank you lisa, BELLIN68, Longings, musikchoo and Bonnie :)
  12. kygurl32 kygurl32, 2 years ago
  13. pops52 pops52, 2 years ago
    Very nice photo of your grandparents, thanks for sharing with us.
  14. ThriftyGypsy ThriftyGypsy, 2 years ago
    That is a beautiful story! Sounds similiar to my grandparents. They were married 50+years. My grandmother passed away in 1976, my grandfather passed away 2 weeks later..... he was never the same. Thrifty
  15. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    Beautiful image, great story & a lasting tribute to your grandparents.
    My parents met during WW2 & married shortly after and my father carried a photo of them in his wallet all his life. My mother carries it with her now.
    Thanks for sharing this with us.
  16. inky inky, 1 year ago
    This lovely post gave me goose-bumps!...:-)
  17. kygurl32 kygurl32, 1 year ago
    I'm sorry I have been out of town. Thank y'all so much for the wonderful comments and loves, it would really make them feel great to know that a little of their story and their photo was bringing back memories for y'all. :) I know they are smiling somewhere
  18. Harborguy Harborguy, 1 year ago
    Of all the things we carry, nothing has the power to take us back again as does such a photo. Wonderful story. Thank you for sharing.
  19. junkmanjoe junkmanjoe, 1 year ago
    Beautiful Picture!!! Wow How awesome is that for her to pass it on to you before she went to heaven to be with him again! Very Nice Thanks For Sharing.
  20. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    I had missed the medal badge in the photo when I first looked at it, very beautiful story to go with these wonderful grandparents you had, love the picture, it looks like they are crazy in love !~