What is this?

All items69439 of 192822Solid Silver Filigree Cigarette CaseHave NO idea where or what these are....but I love them!

quinn51quinn51 likes this.
GeodeJemGeodeJem likes this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
trunkmantrunkman loves this.
    NULL

namji

Like strange things. I found it at a yard sale. It looks like an old light fixture , old meat tenderizer, how about spice grinder. it looks to hang from the chains. Tell what do you think?

Comments

1. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    Looks like an old fire hose nozzle.... my best guess....
  2. namji namji, 3 years ago
    It is made from wood do really think so, that would be great !!!!!!
  3. reneewv reneewv, 3 years ago
    It resembles a duck call that my husband has that was passed down from generations before.
  4. GeodeJem GeodeJem, 3 years ago
    It reminds me of a toilet chain pull!
  5. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 3 years ago
    Guess, it's what you want it to be. LOL! I have no idea! Does any part rotate?
  6. namji namji, 3 years ago
    I LOVE the comments. It doesn't rotate. It has five holes in the bottom. Love the toilet chain pull but what about the holes in the bottom?
  7. trunkman trunkman, 3 years ago
    Just to further observations on this intriguing piece -- there is an obvious rubber seal on the bottom that has over the years disintegrated -- obviously a coupling piece made to attach to something that would leak without it -- thus the fire hose reference...
  8. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 3 years ago
    Maybe an original "float" system for a crapper? Maybe a salt shaker for somebody with Alzheimers? We are all guessing right now, but T-Mon has pointed out what looks like a rubber seal on the bottom & the chains could be for guiding the thing into the right position to seal. (Such as an overhead tank crapper). I've lived in several places that had that style crapper, but didn't make a study of their workings. (actually, I did on 1 that the "jumbies" kept flushing in the middle of the night). After about 6 months of that, I finally yelled out in frustration, "Quit wasting my water"! (we only had cisterns). It stopped that night & never happened again! True story. Don't expect anybody to believe it, but it happened! And worked!
  9. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 3 years ago
    Dam, I thought it was a gravity feed shower head.
  10. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 3 years ago
    Fhr, you don't know the bizarre places I've lived, but I have tried setting up gravity feed showers & they always end out dribbling. (Like Roy!). Growth always stops them up. Out of the 42 yrs. I've lived out of the States, maybe 7-8 yrs. of that was without piped in water. Springs were always the best choice. Hey, my choice & some of my best times!
  11. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 3 years ago
    OH! We did have to watch out for crocodiles in a lot of places! The bloody things just never seemed to have a sense of humour! I think this thing has to do with a crapper or something similar.
  12. fahnaobscura, 3 years ago
    Looks like it could hang from a chatelaine belt by the chains. Does the end screw off? It kind of looks like a telescope or magnifying glass.
  13. fahnaobscura, 3 years ago
    Or an antique megaphone! It's cool.
  14. namji namji, 3 years ago
    I love being on this site . Everyone is great, Awesome comments. I will ask a person about eighty years old maybe he will know and will let everyone what I find out. You have made my day!!!!!!!
  15. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 3 years ago
    Namji, you may have already had some 80 yr. old's reply! Give me another 11 yrs. & I will qualify, but doubt I could help then, because I wouldn't remember any of this! LOL!!
  16. andyman andyman, 3 years ago
    Well it looks like a toilet style chain.
  17. americaneon, 3 years ago
    piece of plumbing equipment
  18. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 3 years ago
    Wow. We have it narrowed down now!
  19. verretcheque verretcheque, 3 years ago
    Early plunger for unblocking sinks??
  20. eye4beauty eye4beauty, 3 years ago
    Chain post drill part
  21. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 3 years ago
    Sink or bathtub plug/stopper. When water reached the top, excess would go thru the hole in the top & filter thru the small holes in the bottom. Chains attached to rings on the sink or tub.
  22. eye4beauty eye4beauty, 3 years ago
    Look at picture #5 ...
  23. eye4beauty eye4beauty, 3 years ago
    There is a hole there that I do not think anyone has noticed ...
  24. eye4beauty eye4beauty, 3 years ago
    OH !!! This could be a canteen stopper !!!
  25. eye4beauty eye4beauty, 3 years ago
    Bb2 ... The water would filter to where? Back to the supply ?
  26. eye4beauty eye4beauty, 3 years ago
    OMGosh ... I am the least mechanical guy try to solve a mechanical mystery ... Lol ... It is a piece of wood with two attached chains and some holes ... Going back to sleep now ...
  27. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 3 years ago
    Eye4, the excess water goes down the drain. Under "images of antique sink stoppers", it shows some similar & even some that appear to telescope for adjusting water level.
  28. eye4beauty eye4beauty, 3 years ago
    The two chains and the hole shown in the last picture is confusing
  29. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 3 years ago
    I think this may have telescoped & is just frozen-up now. I think what appears as a hole in the side is just that gouge or chip seen in another pix.
  30. eye4beauty eye4beauty, 3 years ago
    Oh, yeah now I see the chip ...
  31. namji namji, 3 years ago
    The older person that I ask had no clue. I will keep asking other older persons.
  32. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 3 years ago
    bump .....smiling
  33. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 3 years ago

A friend here thinks it could be a nozzle for a hose, ( possibly Fire hose ). The hole on the side on the last picture is May be for a tap and the chains hold the nozzle onto the hose. It is very similar to a wooden beer keg tap. I hope that makes sense to you because I havent a clue.
  34. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 3 years ago
    This is a wooden beer keg tap, with the handle at the side to turn the beer on and off.
  35. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 3 years ago
    Peasejean, I don't buy that at all. Notice the tapper for wedging the tap in the barrel? Do you see anything like it here.
    Namji. Would you please stop the speculations by simply telling us if that is a chip or a hole in the side?
  36. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 3 years ago
    Sorry, bb2 it doesn't make sense to me I'm just the messager. I do agree it would help if we knew if it's a hole or a chip in the side. The keg tap was a example of the principle.
  37. Peasejean55 Peasejean55, 3 years ago
    Hi Namji, Could you please give us some measurements, and the end bit seems to be metal, it would help if you could take another photo of the back standing up from the side. Thanks Jean.
  38. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 3 years ago
    was thinking something a long these lines..
  39. Efesgirl Efesgirl, 3 years ago
    Maybe it's a part of a very old waterpipe - the smoking kind. Hey, ya never know!
  40. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 3 years ago
    lol...Efesgirl, ..lightem up ifen you got them ....lol...could bbbbbbbbbbbbb
  41. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 3 years ago
    Roy, you must be really bored today!
  42. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 3 years ago
    well its raining out and no one to play with .....and cleaning the house is out ...lol
  43. namji namji, 3 years ago
    Sorry I have been away I will post new pictures of it.
  44. namji namji, 3 years ago
    having problem uploading new picture will try again later.