Football (soccer) Trophy mid-1930s to early 1950s

In Football > Show & Tell.
Football Memorabilia13 of 3861909 football picture 1949-1952 Chicago Bears Autographed Official NFL Football, Extremely Rare

RadegunderRadegunder loves this.
PhilDMorrisPhilDMorris loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
sarahoffsarahoff loves this.
CaperkidCaperkid loves this.
roddyqroddyq loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
WandlessfairyWandlessfairy loves this.

Posted 9 months ago

mcheconi

Got this bronze trophy this week and traveled 100 miles today to get it. Didn't want to risk getting it broken by the awful Brazilian postal services.

It is relatively big, measuring 15 inches (H) x 22 inches (W) x 7 inches (D). Base is a simple black marble slab with a brass plate engraved "Troféu Cel. Luiz Gonzaga de Oliveira - Torneio Quadrangular" meaning "Colonel Luiz Gonzaga de Oliveira Trophy Tournament". No dates.

Although it is not signed, it is a nice example of the high quality of the early trophies, always nicely casted, full of finely sculpted details.

It was awarded to the winners of an inexpressive small town tournament, making it even more interesting when compared to the usual plastic/resin ones found nowadays.

The soccer player is beautifully portrayed kicking/passing the ball while running, in a light and dynamic line of movement, with only one foot resting on the base and having a second fixation point under the football. The uniform and the football cleats (actually boots back then!) follow the mid-1930s style, although the seller says the tournament took place in the early 1950s. Difficult to say, maybe the mold was made earlier.

It would be nice to have a "Medals & Trophies" sub-category in Football and Sporting Goods.

Comments

1. mcheconi mcheconi, 9 months ago
    Thank you bijoucaillouvintage!
  2. Wandlessfairy Wandlessfairy, 9 months ago
    This is beautifully detailed. Fantastic buy.
  3. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 9 months ago
    This is a beauty, nice size and fantastic movement. Statues are much more desirable when they have good movement, and this one delivers. In my Ency of Bronzes I will see if there is anything like this that it may have been modeled after. I hope you will enjoy this footballer piece, love it !!~
  4. Manikin Manikin, 9 months ago
    What a awesome find ! These early trophies are very desirable and I agree with Phil the movement and action of the player makes it much more special . I can see why you drove to pick it up . Love him mcheconi !
  5. mcheconi mcheconi, 9 months ago
    Thank you Wandlessfairy!
  6. mcheconi mcheconi, 9 months ago
    Phil, it would be great if you could find anything on it. I think the facial features resemble some French bronzes I saw in the past, mainly the eyes, but, again, it's difficult to say cause Brazil was extremely influenced by French art as many of the first art school teaches that came to Brazil were from France.
  7. mcheconi mcheconi, 9 months ago
    Mani, thank you. I had trophies broken by local postal services in the past, fortunately nothing too fancy.
  8. mcheconi mcheconi, 9 months ago
    Phil, I almost forgot: I intend to replace the dull, chipped marble base by a Nero Marquina or Portoro marble slab. There are two screws/bolts that seem to be rusted, attaching the trophy to the base. Any special advice on how to remove them?
  9. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 9 months ago
    In my vol 1 there is a page w/4 views but none exact as yours, all had good movement on them. I have/had only removed one years ago and imagine this may remove, but I have little experience on the removal. This piece must go so well with your industrial look home !~
  10. mcheconi mcheconi, 9 months ago
    Phil, yes, it is just perfect for my apartment style. I'm sitting by it's side right now feeling very happy to look at it. I'll try some WD40 for some minutes to see if it will release the screws. I didn't try to remove them yet, but the bronze is heavy and seems solid enough.
  11. vetraio50 vetraio50, 9 months ago
    Just FABULOUS !!!
  12. mcheconi mcheconi, 9 months ago
    Thank you vetraio52! Thanks sarahoff!
  13. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 8 months ago
    Its somewhat similar to the style of Sylvain Kinsburger, or looks most like his clothing style with similar kicks to the ball. There were others also as I mentioned who sculpted footballers and did fine jobs.
  14. mcheconi mcheconi, 8 months ago
    Thank you Phil! I will do a research on him to know more.