Posted 4 years ago
Well, the day after I posted this the first time, I did all the work needed on it except for the finish on the wood. The bells had to be sanded (because they were just terrible), polished, and re-plated in nickel using a kit I bought. I could not remove the mouth-plate from certain parts, so I cleaned it up and left it alone-- no re-plating on it, just a lot of 0000 steel wool and various polishes. I tried bringing back the old paint on the lock plate and hook/hook-plate, but it wasn't in very good shape. The piece that protects the ball that strikes the bells would not accept the new nickel plating (as it was originally plated), so I painted it. The finish to the wood is original, but it had to be given a heavy dose of a restore-a-finish product because it looked super parched. I also polished the Bakelite receiver. The mouth-piece transmitter cone is one I had waiting for just such a project as the original mouth-piece was missing. The Western Electric decal is also original. So, my grungy and worn intercom now has taste and class.