Share your favorites on Show & Tell

The Barbini Butterscotch Vase

In Art Glass > Studio Art Glass > Show & Tell.
WISH IT WERE6 of 20James Giles Bristol Blue Cruetpavel satrapa 1947
Love it
Like it

EmmaPeelEmmaPeel loves this.
auraaura loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
austrohungaroaustrohungaro loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
GlueChipGlueChip loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
beyemveybeyemvey loves this.
Mac63Mac63 loves this.
vetraio50vetraio50 loves this.
mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
art-of-glassart-of-glass loves this.
See 12 more
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 5 years ago


(198 items)

I remember this growing up, it always reminded me of a giant butterscotch candy so that's what I think of it as now, LOL! Its surface is acid-etched and its very thick and heavy, no signature though. Does it look familiar to anyone?

*** UPDATE ** - Many thanks to Dan, he figured it out quick! Alfredo Barbini, "corroso sommerso." Cool!

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. art-of-glass art-of-glass, 5 years ago
    I have a Flavio Poli for Seguso Vetri d'Arte vase with this 'corroso' finish BUT I am personally not familiar with the colour combination that you have.
    I have flicked through a few Murano glass books and can't seem to find anything similar to yours.

    Curious about that what's going on in the centre of the vase, do the two sides of glass meet or ?

  2. art-of-glass art-of-glass, 5 years ago
    Just done some googling around and seems that it might by Barbini, google 'barbini corroso' :-)
  3. Stillwater Stillwater, 5 years ago
    Ahhhh Dan, you are the MAN! Those are the same vases alright, on AntiqueHelper! Its weird though, they list it is Barbini Corroso Sommerso Murano, like they just took a bunch of Italian art glass names and put them together? I know Corroso is like corrosive, referring to the acid-etch, but I wonder why the other three names? Are they just spamming keywords?

    The two sides don't meet, its like one side kind of indents and the yellow colloring pooled there
  4. Stillwater Stillwater, 5 years ago
    Ohh okay, so sommerso means "cased" and corroso is the acid-etched. I guess it is Barbini after all, after doing some more Googling

    Thanks a lot Dan!! I grew up around this thing and I've always wondered about it, its a really great feeling to finally know who made it! Thanks again!!
  5. AmberRose AmberRose, 5 years ago
    Yummy Butterscotch! Beautiful one Still!
  6. vetraio50 vetraio50, 5 years ago
    Very special piece! Yum is right!
    Monster piece of glass!
  7. Stillwater Stillwater, 5 years ago
    Thanks everyone!
  8. art-of-glass art-of-glass, 5 years ago
    **blush** no problem at all. I enjoyed doing the research and I learnt something new too :-)

    That really is a stunning piece and great colours!

  9. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 3 years ago
    it looks like a breast implant, but it's pretty cool!

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.