Uncle Joe part 1

In Railroadiana > Railroad Photos > Show & Tell.
Railroad Photos60 of 80Kamikaze Attack on USS LouisvilleRailroad steam powered crane

packrat-placepackrat-place loves this.
trgrubaughtrgrubaugh loves this.
vanskyock24vanskyock24 loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
oilman514oilman514 loves this.
toolate2toolate2 loves this.

walksoftly

I believe these pictures are of an Uncle that lived in Mission B C, he never married. I wonder if he had the photo's taken to send to a sweetheart, the first image is a very unusual pose for the era.
Can anyone come up with a better story?

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 3 years ago
    What a great photo ! His face says I am lonesome so one could guess it was to a sweetheart :-)
  2. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    Thanks for the Love toolate, oilman, & bratjdd.
  3. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    Thanks for the love & the comment Mani. Why is it that we feel so compelled to put old photo's into context?
  4. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    Thanks for the love & the comment Bellin.
    The strange part about pic #1 is that he is holding a sheaf of Oats, not flowers & he wasn't a farmer he was a carpenter & owned timber property.
  5. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 3 years ago
    Great memories of a great person, he seems very comfortable with himself and pleased with his life, a creative person who loved his alone time more than anything !~
  6. vanskyock24 vanskyock24, 3 years ago
    looks like uncle joe got dumped and flowers didnt work
  7. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    I like that, thanks Phil for the lovely comment.
    Thanks vans you made me chuckle, but I hope that wasn't the story.
  8. vanskyock24 vanskyock24, 3 years ago
    maybe he should of tried chocolate i think she is allergic to flowers lol
  9. bratjdd bratjdd, 3 years ago
    What I think is happening here, he is taking a rest as he has walk from far away to go see his love of his LIFE. As he is resting, he's thinking deeply and saying to himself when I get there I will ask her parents for her hand in marrige and hoping they would say YES. Though he had a long way to get there, he never gave up.He spoke to her parents and they said Yes,and they lived happily ever after. Look at him on the second picture he looks very happy. THE END

10. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    bratjdd, I think they said NO as he was a bachelor all his life, may'be that's why he's sitting on the train tracks looking so pensive.
  11. trgrubaugh trgrubaugh, 3 years ago
    something very far off down the tracks. is that the train? great pictures
  12. bratjdd bratjdd, 3 years ago
    I guess i was trying to create a happy ending. :)
  13. trgrubaugh trgrubaugh, 3 years ago
    oh well wasnt trying to be morbid :)
  14. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    The story was nice bratjdd, & he did have a good life, just didn't have the sweetheart in it.
    That's OK trgrubaugh, no offence taken.
  15. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    Thanks for the love, trgrubaugh.
  16. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    Thanks scandi for the love & the comment, glad you enjoyed it.
  17. garrybeair garrybeair, 3 years ago
    I think everybody must have had an uncle Joe.I miss my uncle Joe.
  18. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    So true garrybeair, I wish that I knew him but he passed before I was born, thanks for the love & the comment.
  19. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    Thanks for the love crabbykins, & packrat.
  20. michelleamieux michelleamieux, 3 years ago
    Garrybeair, isn't that the truth, your Uncle is so handsome, it surpises me he was not married, I think he looks shy and quiet, like a very kind man...I miss my Uncle Jack...
  21. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    Thanks for the love, BirdieZ, vintagemad, & michelleamieux your comment is very nice, glad you enjoyed it.
  22. Love.anything.old Love.anything.old, 3 years ago
    Uncle Joe most certainly liked unorthodox poses and backdrops, didn't he? After viewing Uncle Joe Part 2 first wherein he was posing among flowers and bushes, I sincerely think he did have a modeling career in mind. I think he could have been one. He has a face I believe we could trust, perhaps he is trying to sell the sheaves in a Farmers Almanac Catalog? Very nice photos and it makes one wonder.
  23. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    Thanks for the love, Lao. Was there such a thing as a male model in that era, does anyone know?
  24. RonM RonM, 3 years ago
    They are interesting old pics.After looking a few times I noticed the train rails are quite different too.
  25. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    @ RonM do you mean the shape or the placement?
  26. RonM RonM, 3 years ago
    Walksoftly, I ever saw five rails that close together.
  27. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    I've seen this before on bridges, I believe it was just a place to store rails if they just needed one. If you look closely you will see that three inner ones are only lightly spiked down & have no track plates under them.
  28. michelleamieux michelleamieux, 3 years ago
    Uncle Joe, what a catch he'd a been!! mich
  29. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    May'be he had to many to choose from, or was too shy to ask, we'll never know but we can make up our own narrative.
  30. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    Thanks for the love, Monroe.
  31. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    Thanks for the L's, vetraio & Nina.
  32. michelleamieux michelleamieux, 3 years ago
    I am a big people watcher and I think your Uncle Joe was a poetic and artistic man, which may not have been the norm for the hard working man, so he just stayed shy and didn't share the poetic part of himself, for fear of being called effeminate. I love your Uncle Joe!! Mich
  33. walksoftly walksoftly, 3 years ago
    Thank you so much, Mich. I have been on a quest to find the location that this photo was taken. I wish that I knew more about my U Joe.
  34. musikchoo musikchoo, 1 year ago
    Love the Photos. Did anyone notice that Uncle Joe was using the eraser end of the pencil, as if he were correcting the note he had just written, but the pencil has not been sharpened?? I think Joe liked to stage pictures that would make you think about what was going on in them. That is exactly what he accomplished !! I also wonder who his picture taking accomplice was. Way to go Uncle Joe!!! I know that he and I would have had a lot to talk about.
  35. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Glad to see this one again . Love the railway photo !
  36. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Thanks for the love musik & such a nice comment Uncle Joe & I both appreciate it. I don't know if he was the creative one setting up the photo's or if it was the one behind the camera. Whoever it was they draw you in & really make you wonder what the intended outcome was for these photo's what was he trying to portray?
  37. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Good eye, Eye! There is someone walking across the bridge, good thing it wasn't a train. :-)
  38. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Thanks for the love, Sean & Amber.
  39. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Thanks Sis, it is nice to see this one getting some love again.
  40. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Uncle Joe is enjoying all the love, thanks tom, junkmanjoe, DrFluffy, geo & official.
  41. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 1 year ago
    Lol love it...... I think Joe was getting ready to jump ...lol
    look at that face and hes writing his last will and testimony. to the girl that jolted him , telling her he cant live without her .and not to cry cause he cant fly ....lol loving it
  42. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Roy I think B'buss's twisted sense of humour is rubbing of on you...smiling
  43. walksoftly walksoftly, 10 months ago
    Thanks for the love on these special photo's Toenail, there's something that compels us to provide a narrative for old photo's & your's is a good one.