GRANDFATHER'S SMALL TIN BOX

In Accessories > Show & Tell.
Fashion Accessories432 of 1084Lip Stick ContainerGem Micromatic Razor Kit

walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
nldionnenldionne loves this.
RonMRonM loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.

toolate2

I keep the ring I just listed in this when I'm not wearing it... My mother tells me this little guy was made by a great-great-great uncle who was a tin smith for my grandfather when he was a kid. I think the symbol on the cover is for the catholic church which would support the story as my grandfather was a devout catholic. It's about 2" tall and 3 1/2" square. Anybody have any opinions about it or it's origins?

Comments

1. toolate2 toolate2, 2 years ago
    Thanks Tony and BB!!
  2. TubeAmp TubeAmp, 2 years ago
    Hi Toolate:

Really nothing Catholic about it. The double headed eagle is usally Eastern European in origin, Slovic, Russian, old Germany. Wiki tells a good enough story behind it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-headed_eagle

Thanks for sharing,

T A
  3. Vintage_Joe Vintage_Joe, 2 years ago
    I agree. It is an old symbol of the Russian Tsar and the administration account that was also in Finnish history, until the Bolsheviks came to power in Russia in 1917.
  4. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    A treasure toolate ! Love it and it's history !
  5. Vintage_Joe Vintage_Joe, 2 years ago
    Have you had any relatives in Finland? I say this because since there may be a coat of arms of the Grand Duchy of Finland.

6. Vintage_Joe Vintage_Joe, 2 years ago
    Anyway they are difficult to distinguish from each other.
  7. toolate2 toolate2, 2 years ago
    You guys are right! I googled double headed eagle and found a reference to the holy roman empire and later the catholic church but on closer examination it really doesn't look as much like it as your examples. Plus I was trying to tie it to my grandfather's uncle's uncle... My grandfather fought in WWI so it might be something he picked up during his travels... No Russians or Fins here...lol...
  8. Vintage_Joe Vintage_Joe, 2 years ago
    Ok. Picking the most fun is the articles in the origin and history of the analysis is not so much the object ownership.
    Whatever the origin of the problem may be found in the places where your grandfather fought in the First World War, if one is still not known. ;)
  9. toolate2 toolate2, 2 years ago
    Thanks Mani, petey, Phil, Moon, and Geno for all the loves!!!
  10. epson233 epson233, 1 year ago
    what a beautiful piece of artwork by your uncle --

did an update on the fire and i have you on my list to help with the huffy -- she is down and in storage -- tomorrow -- providing weather permits she will get a bath and than i will post some pics -- her paint job is pretty well toast -- but i need to get some pics before i wash her so we know what we are working with

hope all is well and you are enjoying your week -- light rain here tonight which i so love the gentle rains and the smells mother nature brings forth
  11. toolate2 toolate2, 1 year ago
    Thanks Sean, tora, and epson!!!
  12. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    Your welcome toolate2:)
  13. toolate2 toolate2, 1 year ago
    Thanks Geno! Love the colander cat!!!
  14. toolate2 toolate2, 1 year ago