1930's Monterey Style Spanish Revival Chest Mexican Siesta Painting FREE Street Find!

In Furniture > Mission Style Furniture > Show & Tell and Arts and Crafts > Show & Tell.
Mission Style Furniture5 of 85Arts & Crafts china/curio cabinetMission style rocker

roddyqroddyq loves this.
TassieDevilTassieDevil loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
CaperkidCaperkid loves this.
jscott0363jscott0363 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

Celiene

Out and about yesterday, I passed this on the street for FREE! SLAMMED on my brakes and reversed! OMG! I thought it was 1950's-60's. NO! The man who put it out was there, and he told me it was his grandmother's and was from the 1930's. EXCELLENT condition! (Needs a bit of a clean). I think it is a Juan Duran Tinoco painting! Monterey style furniture.Not sure if it's Angelus

ADORABLE Hand Painted - NOT A DECAL! Mexican boy taking a siesta in front of a fire with a sunset sky in the background. Little decorative square pegs along each side. Original pulls. Drawers just need a little stabilizing.

It's from L.A., but I can't quite read the maker. I think it's: ...onney & Sons Furn. Mfg. Co. Los Angeles. Style #4002 Finish 19M

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. jscott0363 jscott0363, 1 year ago
    What an AWESOME free find Celiene!!!! Such a great chest of drawers!
  2. Celiene Celiene, 1 year ago
    I can't believe the condition. On the side you can see, the man said hi and his brother put the blue crayon on it, just under the top. That squiggle in the third drawer is routed.
  3. Caperkid Caperkid, 1 year ago
    Nothing beats free great find.
  4. Celiene Celiene, 1 year ago
    I could NOT resist, even though I can't fit another piece of furniture in here!
  5. kyratango kyratango, 1 year ago
    Sweet street find, and great you could talk to the previous owner :-)
  6. Efesgirl Efesgirl, 1 year ago
    That's great!
  7. Celiene Celiene, 1 year ago
    I think it may be made by Angelus Furniture. (STILL searching! Those little square elements on the side are hard to find!)
  8. Celiene Celiene, 1 year ago
    That squiggle is rare, too. I found Del Rey by Kroehler with the squiggle thing and that is called 'river of life'...

It's driving me crazy!
  9. Celiene Celiene, 1 year ago
    I GOT IT! Looking at old Business Directories online -it's made by L. Ronney & Sons Furniture Manufacturing Co., Los Angeles. They were in business from 1914-1958! It's been driving me crazy!

L. Ronney & Sons started out as a furniture factory in 1914. During WWII, the company began selling scooters called 'Jeepettes' for the Navy. They were primarily used on airbases to get mechanics, etc around the long distances. After the war, the company tried unsuccessfully to market the Jeepette to consumers, and L. Ronney & Sons eventually abandon the scooter market to focus back on furniture again. The company was sold in 1958, and the factory was torn down in the mid-1960s. Jeepette's still have a legacy among a small group of scooter enthusiasts.

http://www.usscootermuseum.com/jeepette.htm .