Slag Glass Table Lamp

In Lamps > Slag Glass Lamps > Show & Tell and Lamps > Table Lamps > Show & Tell.
Slag Glass Lamps41 of 256100 year old Mission-Slag Glass table lampSlag glass brass or bronze lamp . Brought over by my family  from England in the early 1900s

GillianGillian loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
hunterqleehunterqlee loves this.
keramikoskeramikos loves this.
MrstyndallMrstyndall loves this.
dlpetersendlpetersen loves this.
JohannBJohannB loves this.
lizzycbwlizzycbw loves this.
SpiritBearSpiritBear loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
KarenokeKarenoke loves this.

jonhin

Aquired this lamp from an elderly gentle man who had lived in a New Orleans boarding house . The lamp was in his room when he moved in . The base and shade are Solid metal ( possibly spelter ) , with slag glass panels . No manufacturers mark that I can find other than a serial number ( 356) on the plate soldered in the base. Any input on this beauty will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again ,
    Jon.

Comments

1. lizzycbw lizzycbw, 2 years ago
      Its beautiful! Slag glass in the shade. Looks very Art Nouveau. Coming from New Orleans I wonder if it is French or maybe Austrian secessionist. Also checkout Edward Miller & Co. The company made lamps in Meriden, Conn., from the 1880s through the 1920s. I wish I knew more
    2. jonhin, 2 years ago
      Thanks lizzycbw! Will do. I wish I knew more also. Gonna keep looking . Will keep u posted ...
    3. lizzycbw lizzycbw, 2 years ago
      Love to know what you find out ..Such a beautiful lamp!
    4. jonhin, 1 year ago
      Hello all,
      Doing a little research into the manufacturer of my lamp . Have looked all over , yet to find a mark or name on it . The only thing I found is a small thin metal plate sautered across the base with the number 659 . Removed this plate , still nothing . Any suggestions ?
    5. Gillian, 1 year ago
      Hi, is the base glass or resin?
    6. jonhin, 1 year ago
      Hello Gillian,
      The whole thing is lead , magnet will not stick to it. The light socket and cord has been replaced . Glass panels are original . Any ideas ? Thanks .
    7. jonhin, 1 year ago
      Good Morning ,
      Wondering if anyone knows where to locate any manufacturer reference material for this type of lamp ?

Thanks .
    8. jonhin, 6 months ago
      Hello All. Want to ask if anyone has ever come across a lamp such as this ? By that I mean the base and shape are lead ( magnet will not stick to it ) with the exception of the panels of course. I have never weighed it , but it is very heavy , requires both hands to move it . Have never been able to find anything on it , except a serial number on the protective plate in the base . (356) Removed the plate , but no luck finding a manufacturer. Any help , comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated . Thanks . God Bless.
    9. keramikos keramikos, 6 months ago
      jonhin, It is indeed beautiful.

There are a lot of glass or porcelain lamps out there, but yours is unusual in that the material that shows up in silhouette when the lamp is on, seems also to be glass or porcelain. Is that correct?
    10. jonhin, 6 months ago
      Keramikos,
      Thanks , yes the panels are slag glass , but the shade and base are lead .
    11. Sewing53, 6 months ago
      The metal you call lead may actually be spelter
      ...Spelter, while sometimes used merely as a synonym for zinc, is often used to identify a zinc alloy. In this sense it might be an alloy of equal parts copper and zinc, i.e. a brass, used for hard soldering and brazing, or as an alloy, containing lead, that is used instead of bronze.
    12. jonhin, 6 months ago
      Sewing53 ,
      Thanks , that’s interesting. The plate in the bottom was soldered in quite well , I used a soldering gun to loosen the tacks to remove it hoping to find a maker , but no luck . It’s just aggravating that I have not been able to find out much more about it .
    13. keramikos keramikos, 6 months ago
      jonhin, OK, so the material that appears in silhouette isn't glass or porcelain, but rather some kind of painted metal.

What Sewing53 says about the metal possibly being spelter is true:

I wonder whether the metal on your lamp was originally painted or not.
    14. keramikos keramikos, 6 months ago
      P.S., now that I look more closely at the pictures, I can see a few places where the paint has worn off, so yeah, painted metal. It's still a beautiful lamp.
    15. jonhin, 6 months ago
      Thanks for the link . I believe it is original as it sits , but who knows .
      The gentleman that I got it from said that the ladies had a boarding house in New Orleans , where he got it once she passed , but they also had a plantation up River somewhere. One sister ran the boarding house , one ran the plantation . The history is what always draws me . I will keep looking . Thanks for the help . Love this site .
    16. wildvke wildvke, 2 months ago
      I believe this is an Italian spelter, Slag Glass paneled lamp. The number you found on the lamp plate is more than likely a shape/model number or could be the date which would be read in reverse, 356 = 6 (June) 1935. Not an expert but, that is my 2cents ????
    17. Gillian, 2 months ago
      Lots and lots and lots of Vintage/Antique Lamp ids., examples a lot of information:

List of Vintage Lamp Manufacturers:

18. Gillian, 2 months ago
      ...and a lot of information:
    19. tharless62 tharless62, 2 months ago
      did you take a magnifying glass to the base opposite where you found the numbers? i've had to do alot of lamp research..cuz im an addict !!!
    20. tharless62 tharless62, 2 months ago

21. jonhin, 2 months ago
      WILDVKE
      Thanks for the response . Why do you think it is Italian ? Have you seen something like it elsewhere ?
    22. jonhin, 2 months ago
      GILLIAN , THARLESS62

Thanks for your responses also . I am still searching . Yet to find anything conclusive ....
    23. wildvke wildvke, 2 months ago
      @jonhin Yes I’ve seen several. Some have a mark of the letters GIM and a number. Others I have seen stating the are Italian. The GIM has been said to be a company named MC Co. The only thing I have ever been able to find on that might be this name, Marche or Macerata which is Italian. I Admin for 3 Lamp groups on FB (I’m not an expert) and we have 2 very similar to yours. Yours is a better quality and I feel imo that it’s Italian.
    24. jonhin, 2 months ago
      WILDVKE ,
      I am not an expert either , jus a weekend warrior collector . Enjoy unique items of all kinds and the history behind them . I have yet to find any letters or words any where on this lamp , only the number on the plate soldered in the base . Could you possibly send me a pic of the one similar that you have , I have not seen another like it yet in all of the searching I have done . It would be great also to see the lamp groups on fb. I will try a search on there . Thank you very much !
    25. wildvke wildvke, 2 months ago
      @jonjin You are welcome to join and check out the "Vintage Lamp Collectors" group on FB. Just type that in a FB search.