BLACK JAPANNED BROOCH BY SHERMAN, PROBABLY 1960's

In Costume Jewelry > Sherman Costume Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Sherman Costume Jewelry37 of 154Sherman Vintage BroochSherman Siam “February” Necklace, Bracelet, Brooch, Earring Set

RichmondLoriRichmondLori loves this.
MALKEYMALKEY loves this.
dlpetersendlpetersen loves this.
PhilDMorrisPhilDMorris loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

PhilDMorris

BLACK JAPANNED BROOCH BY SHERMAN, PROBABLY 1960's obtained Jan 25, 2020

This vintage Sherman brooch features three, centrally placed, facetted oval rhinestones that are each 11/16” long – huge for Sherman brooch stones! I like to think of them as trillium or trapezoidal cuts. They anchor three individual pattern parts that make up the full swirl. Each third of the whole pattern includes one oval stone, five brilliant-cuts in 5/16”, ¼” and 3/16” diameters. As well,seven marquise-cut stones in 9/16” lengths help create the illusion of a moving swirl!

Some of the stones had a dozen prongs which means it was time intensive, hence costlier to produce. This was a more interesting brooch and probably the closest I will get to the Rock of Gibralter! Sherman may have made a fair amount of Jewellery using black stones and for some reason I like the brooches better than the bracelets which I have around 5 of the black bracelets.

logo
    Sherman Costume Jewelry
    GORGEOUS SHERMAN AB TOPAZ NAVETTE CITRINE RHINESTONE SPIRAL BROOCH EARRINGS SET
    GORGEOUS SHERMAN AB TOPAZ NAVETTE C...
    $170
    STUNNING Vintage Mod Clip Earrings LOT Lisner Czech Sherman Star Art Sterling+
    STUNNING Vintage Mod Clip Earrings ...
    $33
    Sherman OPAQUE TURQUOISE & TRUE SKY BLUE - FLORAL CLUSTER MOTIF NECKLACE NR
    Sherman OPAQUE TURQUOISE & TRUE SKY...
    $27
    Sherman ButterflyOpera Necklace/Earrings Black Diamond/Cardinal/Olivine.MINT
    Sherman ButterflyOpera Necklace/Ear...
    $193
    logo
    GORGEOUS SHERMAN AB TOPAZ NAVETTE CITRINE RHINESTONE SPIRAL BROOCH EARRINGS SET
    GORGEOUS SHERMAN AB TOPAZ NAVETTE C...
    $170

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
      Magnificent Phil ! I do love brooches and this one is a sure eye catcher. Your eye for fine quality is unsurpassed . Much love to you always
    2. Newfld Newfld, 1 year ago
      Super elegant Sherman piece, the cluster of black navettes is a fabulous design that is tres chic!
    3. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 year ago
      Mani, you are the kindest person I know, much love to you. xoxo
    4. Watchsearcher Watchsearcher, 1 year ago
      Overlooking the brooch for a moment to look at the beautiful room....is that your home!!!?
    5. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 1 year ago
      Stunning...as always!
      I see the multi- prongs on the chatons, they are staying put!
      I always try to picture a piece on clothing ( of mine, lol)
      This would look lovely on a white winter wool coat!
      Never cease to amaze Phil...
    6. glassiegirl glassiegirl, 1 year ago
      Lovely photos with a marvelous description. You always have superior taste, Phil. Such a beautiful pin and who can wrong with the colour black? Goes with any and everything. Absolutely luv it! xo
    7. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 1 year ago
      I love the sparkling black. Makes me think of victorian jewelry and can see that black jewelry will be popular again and again and again. There is something about that is unresistable.
    8. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 1 year ago
      Sorry, I ment irresistible :)
    9. racer4four racer4four, 1 year ago
      Dark splendour.
    10. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 1 year ago
      Karen, what a perfect description, wish I thought it up! Lol
    11. Daisy1000 Daisy1000, 1 year ago
      Great Sherman brooch. Excellent photography & presentation! Thanks for sharing ... showing. -L.
    12. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 year ago
      Thank you Jenni, I appreciate your input !~
    13. Trey Trey, 1 year ago
      Very nice :)
    14. freiheit freiheit, 1 year ago
      This is a wonderful piece! I have its little sister: Same shape but mine is small, flat, and has little personality - LOL. I will post mine when I have a chance.

I am not knowledgeable about Sherman designs but I guess he made some of his pieces not only in different colours and settings but also in a different sizes and variations?

I have seen only few of the truly magnificent Sherman pieces like yours. They usually look even more impressive when you see them in real life. Enjoy its beauty and craftsmanship!

15. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
      Love this! And, I would like to see the 5 black Sherman bracelets please.
    16. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 1 year ago
      Lovely piece, Phil! The variation of cut and stones make this really stand out!
    17. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 year ago
      Thank you Broochman, but alas there are too many collectors and I have not the biggest collection or the best by far, but what I can tell you is that every sherman collector probably has pieces that no one else may have as Sherman did a lot of colour combinations, some exceedingly rare !~
    18. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 year ago
      Thank you Watchsearcher, and yes that is my Home Sweet Home !~
    19. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 year ago
      Thank you Eileen, you are much appreciated !~
    20. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 1 year ago
      Thank you glassiegirl, you are sweetness that can walk on its own !~