BLACK JAPANNED BROOCH BY SHERMAN, PROBABLY 1960's

In Costume Jewelry > Sherman Costume Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Sherman Costume Jewelry138 of 251Sherman Vintage BroochSherman Siam “February” Necklace, Bracelet, Brooch, Earring Set

vcalvcal loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.
MALKEYMALKEY loves this.
dlpetersendlpetersen loves this.
PhilDMorrisPhilDMorris loves this.

PhilDMorris

BLACK JAPANNED BROOCH BY SHERMAN, PROBABLY 1960's obtained Jan 25, 2020

This vintage Sherman brooch features three, centrally placed, facetted oval rhinestones that are each 11/16” long – huge for Sherman brooch stones! I like to think of them as trillium or trapezoidal cuts. They anchor three individual pattern parts that make up the full swirl. Each third of the whole pattern includes one oval stone, five brilliant-cuts in 5/16”, ¼” and 3/16” diameters. As well,seven marquise-cut stones in 9/16” lengths help create the illusion of a moving swirl!

Some of the stones had a dozen prongs which means it was time intensive, hence costlier to produce. This was a more interesting brooch and probably the closest I will get to the Rock of Gibralter! Sherman may have made a fair amount of Jewellery using black stones and for some reason I like the brooches better than the bracelets which I have around 5 of the black bracelets.

logo
    Sherman Costume Jewelry
    Incredible Vtg Signed Sherman Pink Sparkling Rhinestone Pinwheel Brooch Pin (#1)
    Incredible Vtg Signed Sherman Pink ...
    $100
    VINTAGE SHERMAN AURORA BOREALIS RHINESTONE FULL WREATH BROOCH signed Sherman
    VINTAGE SHERMAN AURORA BOREALIS RHI...
    $68
    Vintage SHERMAN signed Gorgeous Brooch & Earrings Set Topaz AB Rhinestones Rare
    Vintage SHERMAN signed Gorgeous Bro...
    $219
    SHERMAN cuff wide bracelet brooch lot AB rhinestone + unsigned Brooch earrings
    SHERMAN cuff wide bracelet brooch l...
    $118
    logo
    Incredible Vtg Signed Sherman Pink ...
    $100

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
      Magnificent Phil ! I do love brooches and this one is a sure eye catcher. Your eye for fine quality is unsurpassed . Much love to you always
    2. Newfld Newfld, 2 years ago
      Super elegant Sherman piece, the cluster of black navettes is a fabulous design that is tres chic!
    3. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 years ago
      Mani, you are the kindest person I know, much love to you. xoxo
    4. Watchsearcher Watchsearcher, 2 years ago
      Overlooking the brooch for a moment to look at the beautiful room....is that your home!!!?
    5. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 2 years ago
      Stunning...as always!
      I see the multi- prongs on the chatons, they are staying put!
      I always try to picture a piece on clothing ( of mine, lol)
      This would look lovely on a white winter wool coat!
      Never cease to amaze Phil...
    6. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 2 years ago
      I love the sparkling black. Makes me think of victorian jewelry and can see that black jewelry will be popular again and again and again. There is something about that is unresistable.
    7. Elisabethan Elisabethan, 2 years ago
      Sorry, I ment irresistible :)
    8. racer4four racer4four, 2 years ago
      Dark splendour.
    9. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 2 years ago
      Karen, what a perfect description, wish I thought it up! Lol
    10. Daisy1000 Daisy1000, 2 years ago
      Great Sherman brooch. Excellent photography & presentation! Thanks for sharing ... showing. -L.
    11. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 years ago
      Thank you Jenni, I appreciate your input !~
    12. Trey Trey, 2 years ago
      Very nice :)
    13. freiheit freiheit, 2 years ago
      This is a wonderful piece! I have its little sister: Same shape but mine is small, flat, and has little personality - LOL. I will post mine when I have a chance.

I am not knowledgeable about Sherman designs but I guess he made some of his pieces not only in different colours and settings but also in a different sizes and variations?

I have seen only few of the truly magnificent Sherman pieces like yours. They usually look even more impressive when you see them in real life. Enjoy its beauty and craftsmanship!

14. valentino97 valentino97, 2 years ago
      Love this! And, I would like to see the 5 black Sherman bracelets please.
    15. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 2 years ago
      Lovely piece, Phil! The variation of cut and stones make this really stand out!
    16. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 years ago
      Thank you Broochman, but alas there are too many collectors and I have not the biggest collection or the best by far, but what I can tell you is that every sherman collector probably has pieces that no one else may have as Sherman did a lot of colour combinations, some exceedingly rare !~
    17. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 years ago
      Thank you Watchsearcher, and yes that is my Home Sweet Home !~
    18. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 years ago
      Thank you Eileen, you are much appreciated !~
    19. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 years ago
      Thank you glassiegirl, you are sweetness that can walk on its own !~