Jay Flex clear-amethyst screwback sterling earrings

In Costume Jewelry > Costume Earrings > Show & Tell and Costume Jewelry > Rhinestone Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Costume Earrings7 of 541CELEBRITY NY - One of the  Companies for Which DeLizza & Elster Manufactured JewelryPoggi of Paris

valentino97valentino97 loves this.
vintagelampvintagelamp loves this.
rhineisfinerhineisfine loves this.
FreshAirFreshAir loves this.
jscott0363jscott0363 loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
PhilDMorrisPhilDMorris loves this.
dav2no1dav2no1 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
auraaura loves this.
Ms.CrystalShipMs.CrystalShip loves this.
NewfldNewfld loves this.

Posted 3 months ago

rhineisfine

This is a pair of Jay Flex earrings that I found at a local consignment shop. From what I've been able to learn online, Jay Flex was a Montreal-based company that made rhinestone costume jewellery from the 1930s until the 1960s. The story is that Gustave Sherman worked at Jay Flex before creating his own company, also in Montreal. Every Jay Flex piece is set in sterling silver, and they tended to use clear chatons and baguettes arranged in simple geometric patterns. As a result, they can sometimes look slightly staid, especially next to Sherman's more sophisticated and brilliantly coloured pieces. Nonetheless, the stones are always high-quality, and the settings invariably sterling.
    This pair of earrings is unusual thanks to the purple amethyst stones, especially those prominent navettes. They're also just a touch odd-looking. Not only are the circles of clear stones slightly flattened, the screwback findings are attached at different points so that they look positively asymmetrical when worn! They have the look of identical twins who part their hair on opposite sides.
    At any rate, I couldn't resist buying them as a charming example of a lesser-known Canadian rhinestone manufacturer.

logo
    Costume Earrings
    MASSIVE VINTAGE GORGEOUS GRIPOIX YVES SAINT LAURENT YSL GLASS HEART EARRINGS
    MASSIVE VINTAGE GORGEOUS GRIPOIX YV...
    $251
    BLANCA VTG MOGUL GILT AMBER GRIPOIX CABS CRYSTAL HUGE 3" DANGLE RUNWAY EARRINGS
    BLANCA VTG MOGUL GILT AMBER GRIPOIX...
    $91
    VINTAGE GORGEOUS GRIPOIX YVES SAINT LAURENT YSL MADE IN FRANCE EARRINGS
    VINTAGE GORGEOUS GRIPOIX YVES SAINT...
    $273
    Vintage 1980S Earrings Clip On Large Big Silver Tone Biomorphic Teardrop 2 1/8"
    Vintage 1980S Earrings Clip On Larg...
    $12
    logo
    MASSIVE VINTAGE GORGEOUS GRIPOIX YVES SAINT LAURENT YSL GLASS HEART EARRINGS
    MASSIVE VINTAGE GORGEOUS GRIPOIX YV...
    $251

Comments

1. Newfld Newfld, 3 months ago
      Gorgeous pair of Jay Flex earrings, the amethyst accents over the clear rhinestones are fabulous! Love that this co only used sterling silver settings, top quality
    2. rhineisfine rhineisfine, 3 months ago
      Thank you for the kind comment, Newfld! I agree, Jay Flex's devotion to sterling settings is very appealing. I've also heard that they used Swarovski rhinestones, but I'm not sure if that's true. Austrian, I think, at the very least.
      (By the way, I tried to photograph the stamp on the screwback finding that says "JAY FLEX STERLING" but it's on a curved surface and almost impossible to capture. Bah.)
    3. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 3 months ago
      These are quite unique, and the colors are perfection, set in sterling makes them high-end costume. The design is magical and being two tiered for a small pair of earrings, the quality stands out!
    4. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 3 months ago
      I bought a piece of Sherman and without looking at the name at the back you would swear that it was JayFlex. When Sherman started his own company his work started out very simply. Your pictures are great and especially nice the second pic has that dreamy feeling. Superb. They made a lot of nice cases for some of their work also. I imagine Sherman started there as one of their salesmen, but that is my conjecture.
    5. jscott0363 jscott0363, 3 months ago
      So very beautiful!!
    6. rhineisfine rhineisfine, 3 months ago
      @Ms.CrystalShip, thank you for the nice comment. That's exactly what attracted me to this pair of earrings. Glad you like them!
    7. rhineisfine rhineisfine, 3 months ago
      @Phil, that's really interesting about the early Sherman pieces resembling Jay Flex. You could well be right about Gustave Sherman starting out as a salesman there, and perhaps learning his craft that way.
      I'll admit that for me, Sherman is the Platonic ideal of what rhinestone jewellery can be, but some Jay Flex pieces are really attractive and occasionally I'm tempted sufficiently to buy one or two. I'll have to look out for a Jay Flex case as well, don't think I've ever seen one. Thank you for the lovely comments!
    8. rhineisfine rhineisfine, 3 months ago
      @jscott0363, thank you very much for coming by and for leaving your sweet comment!
    9. rhineisfine rhineisfine, 3 months ago
      Nfld
      vetraio50
      Ms.CrystalShip
      aura
      fortapache
      dav2no1
      PhilDMorris
      Manikin
      Watchsearcher
      jscott0363

-- thank you for stopping by and for loving my earrings. Much appreciated.
    10. FreshAir FreshAir, 3 months ago
      Gorgeous!
    11. rhineisfine rhineisfine, 3 months ago
      @FreshAir, thank you for your comment and for the love!
    12. vintagelamp vintagelamp, 3 months ago
      Beautiful!
    13. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 2 months ago
      I used to have one of their cases, nice one. Sold it, otherwise would have sent it to you for this fab piece.