Union Pacific Big Boy 4012

In Railroadiana > Railroad Photos > Show & Tell.
Railroad Photos54 of 97Spokane, Washington Train StationsVintage Railroad Engines

fortapachefortapache loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
DeanteaksDeanteaks loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.
beachbombbeachbomb loves this.

Two different shots of the 4012 taken at Steamtown, Scranton, PA in December, 2012.

There are only a few of these massive engines still with us, and this one rests at Scranton, PA. I recall that the others are all Out West.

1. musikchoo musikchoo, 3 years ago
    Some Friends saw this locomotive on their Vacation and brought me some photos with his wife standing next to the wheels. I will try to find them and post so everyone can see the enormity of this Locomotive. I Love these Photos that You posted !!
  2. Ted_Straub Ted_Straub, 3 years ago
    Thank you musikchoo, beachbomb and mustangtony for your loves on these photos.
  3. Ted_Straub Ted_Straub, 3 years ago
    Yes, musikchoo, we will all await your pictures with people in them to give an idea of the size of the wheels. I'm not sure, but I think that they are 70 inches in diameter!

Thank you for kind and thoughtful comment, and for your love of these pictures!!!!
  4. musikchoo musikchoo, 3 years ago
    You are Welcome my Friend !!
  5. Ted_Straub Ted_Straub, 3 years ago
    Yes, Bellin68...I love trains, old and new, too! That Steamtown is quite a place as they have shops for maintaining and restoring steam engines there, of which the public can view. It is a great place for rail fans to visit.

And as an added bonus, active rail lines (Canadian Pacific & Norfolk Southern run through the park. And within walking distance is The Lackawanna Scranton Station, which has been converted into a fine hotel, which retains the basic design of this gem of a train station. <aybe I can get some pictures of that building at some future point.

Thanks for your interest and for your love of these items!!!!
  6. Ted_Straub Ted_Straub, 3 years ago
    Thank you walksoftly, mrmajestic1 and blunderbuss2 for your loves on these pictures!!!
  7. Ted_Straub Ted_Straub, 3 years ago
    Many thanks to Bellin68, walksoftly, mrmajestic1, and blunderbuss2 for your loves on thi photo...
  8. fortapache fortapache, 8 months ago
    Our local Big Boy has been taken away. But they are restoring it to operating condition.
  9. TubeAmp TubeAmp, 8 months ago
    Here are the updates regarding the restoration:

T A
  10. Ted_Straub Ted_Straub, 8 months ago
    Hi, fortapache…thanks for the update. I'm concerned about our local Big Boy at Steamtown NHS. There's not much money for its restoration there, and besides, it is too large to fit into Steamtown's repair facilities.

Further compounding the size problem, the loco sits outside year round. Our Big Boy is becoming to look "weatherized" :( . I am hoping that the engine is lubed regularly, so that its moving parts don't seize up. It would be a real loss if this locomotive degrades into a mound of rust!
  11. Ted_Straub Ted_Straub, 8 months ago
    Thank you, TubeAmp….your input is appreciated!