Murano Cenedese glass donkey

In Animals > Show & Tell and Art Glass > Murano and Italian Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Animals71 of 6210Taxidermy Tuesday A Pair OLf Red-Legged Partridges On A Nice BaseHelp me please! Need more of these but can't identify.

Bruce99Bruce99 loves this.
BrunswickBrunswick loves this.
inkyinky loves this.
LaurenRedmondLaurenRedmond loves this.
kwqdkwqd loves this.

Posted 2 months ago

Newfld

This 7 1-2"H sommerso glass donkey has a blend of turquoise, medium blue & aqua colors in a clear base. By Murano Cenedese ca 1960s w/ orig label

logo
    Animals
    Antique Signed Sayres American Bucolic Country Cow Wooded Landscape Oil Painting
    Antique Signed Sayres American Buco...
    $78
    Antique 1930s Grace Drayton Cast Iron Hubley Twin Kittens Cat Kitty Doorstop NR
    Antique 1930s Grace Drayton Cast Ir...
    $147
    1894 Peacock Series Evening Hydrangea Vintage French Nouveau Art Poster Print
    1894 Peacock Series Evening Hydrang...
    $8
    LARGE ANTIQUE CHINESE GREEN JADE RECUMBENT CAT BEAST FIGURE SUPERB CARVED STAND
    LARGE ANTIQUE CHINESE GREEN JADE RE...
    $812
    logo
    Antique Signed Sayres American Buco...
    $78

Comments

1. LaurenRedmond LaurenRedmond, 2 months ago
      He's a very playful little donkey- I think his pose seems to almost be like a prancing foal maybe with the legs splayed and him glancing over his shoulder, you often see foals actually doing this before jumping about a paddock!
    2. Broochman Broochman, 2 months ago
      Such a beautiful donkey!! Love his colors. Very nice piece! :)
    3. Ms.CrystalShip Ms.CrystalShip, 2 months ago
      I pass donkeys in a field while taking my Grandsons to school very day. A while back they had “ little ones”. Your beautiful glass donkey reminds me of them. As Lauren says, they are playful, and very amusing to watch. This little guy of yours has wonderful detail, like his mane and pointed ears!
    4. Mrstyndall Mrstyndall, 2 months ago
      Oh, this is so cute and such a pretty color, Jenni!
    5. Newfld Newfld, 2 months ago
      Adele
      iggy
      Vet
      Phil
      bobby725
      BB2

Lauren yes he really does look playful and about to leap into a paddock, great ideation I can totally see that. These Murano donkeys were sometimes called and-or horses as except for the ears they could pass for a horse design too, so you are right seeing him as a foal, thank you for the super comment my friend

Thanks Ken, you know I love aqua esp in glass so when I saw this guy it was love at first sight, appreciate the wonderful compliments

Many thanks Eileen for the beautiful words and imagery of the real donkeys, I would love to live out your way and see the real animals, saw some on farms in my youth but not for awhile. I agree the detail is wonderful and one reason I chose this one was his head is up and alert, most of this type have the head bowed, and I also love their circular feet, cool Cenedese design

Thank you MrsT for the great compliment, I am glad you saw the cuteness here and I'm with you that the blue blend is lovely
    6. DuDa DuDa, 2 months ago
      Wouldn't Barovier & Toso also need to be considered? The B&T and Cenedese donkey forms were similar and this shows a generic Rooster, Fox, & Snake crest export label which would makes me think B&T.

Just asking because my first thoughts were Cenedese also when I saw it.
    7. Newfld Newfld, 2 months ago
      Thank you DuDa for the love and kind comment. This was sold to me by a British art glass dealer as a Cenedese donkey so I am hoping it is genuine, did not know B&T also used the rooster label but I have seen their donkeys & they are similar. Whichever vintage Murano co made the donkey I love him!
    8. DuDa DuDa, 2 months ago
      He is a keeper!
    9. renedijkstra, 2 months ago
      hard to say your shot is as good as mine ,i think its a cenedese , gliding sommerso, the shaping of the hairs , and probably the toso mark is mostly red
      in your favour for b and t is its missing the disc hooves , so lets call it a tie
    10. renedijkstra, 2 months ago
      double labia mouth i prefer cenedese
    11. Newfld Newfld, 2 months ago
      Thank you Sean and Bruce for the kind love and support, so glad you guys liked this Murano donkey

Yes DuDa I think he's a keeper too, I will tell you though I was surprised he was pretty heavy for a Murano animal, while taking the pix I had to be really careful as I can be clumsy

Thanks renedijkstra for the great comments and info on Cenedese vs. Barovier, I am glad you are leaning toward Cenedese too
    12. renedijkstra, 2 months ago
      see murano zoo site , mammals horse family cenedese donkeys