Posted 8 years ago
Here is an antique fluid burning lamp is original condition. Brass burner collar is designed to accept a #1 Queen Anne style burner. Clear flint glass oil font tank has an EAPG pattern of X's and O's or thumbprints. Column like footed section is white milk glass with a blackberry and leaf pressed decor on the corners. Foot is tightly joined to upper fluid tank by a crimped brass clinch coupling and cement. Clinch coupling is marked Pat May 24, 1870. Lamp measures 10-1/4 inches tall overall with a 4-1/2 inch diameter clear glass fluid storage section. Base measures 4 inches by 4 inches square or about 5 inches diameter, if measured corner to corner.
This lamp was manufactured shortly after 1870 and was marketed by Hobbs Brockunier. "Oil Lamps, The Kerosene Era in North America" by Catherine Thuro, attributes this lamp base and clinch coupling to Hobbs Brockunier. See page 151 for information on Hobbs patented clinch collar. Pages 153 and 156 in this same book show the blackberry base, also attributed to Hobbs.